MJ's little flock

I've been lucky with chicks so far but you have a lot more chooks than me. I've only had 6 as chicks.
My very 1st lot of 6 ~ & I'm pretty sure the gift giver knew ~ were all cockerels!!!! When they all started to crow it was not good news! That's the only time I've had chicks. :lol:

Hi MaryJanet and friends, would you mind if i joined your thread? I have read a few pages here and on by bob and ribh's thread and i really love your interaction and respect for each other and your love for your chickens. I just collected my first egg from 4 pullets I hatched during our strict lock down in Melbourne Australia and my family is just not excited enough so i wondered if it would be ok to share with you all. Thanks.
Congratulations on your first egg @Louwin . :wee :clap:ya:wee:jumpy:yesss:🎆🎆🎆🎉🎉:woot

That long anticipated first egg is very exciting. I don't know why our families don't share our ecstasy. :idunno

Did you take a photo?

My very 1st lot of 6 ~ & I'm pretty sure the gift giver knew ~ were all cockerels!!!! When they all started to crow it was not good news! That's the only time I've had chicks. :lol:
How rude! :barnie

We can return any cockerels and get a refund for them so I guess our produce store is more invested in supplying hens.

Thanks Ribh, you are so welcoming. This is my four. They are a backyard mix from Isa Brown hens. Peanut (white), princess layer (black) buddy (light brown) and snitzel (dark brown and named by a teenage boy!!). I'm sorry to hear you lost 3 of yours. I cant imagine our backyard without ours now. I hope you find some wonderful new girls to join your family.View attachment 2432395
What a beautiful arrangement of pullets you have on your table Louwin. 😍
Well done getting them all to stay there long enough for a photo!

How rude! :barnie

We can return any cockerels and get a refund for them so I guess our produce store is more invested in supplying hens.
Well, it was an acquaintance who made it clear she wouldn't take them back. My Campine breeder won't take cockerels back either so another reason for no chicks. It doesn't pay to be male in the chickening world.

Hi MaryJanet and friends, would you mind if i joined your thread? I have read a few pages here and on by bob and ribh's thread and i really love your interaction and respect for each other and your love for your chickens. I just collected my first egg from 4 pullets I hatched during our strict lock down in Melbourne Australia and my family is just not excited enough so i wondered if it would be ok to share with you all. Thanks.
Nice to meet you I am sure everyone here will be happy to have you join.
That first egg is such a special moment- I remember feeling incredibly privileged to have been given such a gift.
To be honest I still find gathering eggs like experiencing a small miracle - which is odd as it is such a normal thing really.

Nice to meet you I am sure everyone here will be happy to have you join.
That first egg is such a special moment- I remember feeling incredibly privileged to have been given such a gift.
To be honest I still find gathering eggs like experiencing a small miracle - which is odd as it is such a normal thing really.
I'm the same. I just love sliding my hand under my hens & finding 2 or 3 eggs still lovely & warm. They chitter @ me when I do it but it doesn't seem to upset them ~ unless they're broody of course! :lau

Back
Top Bottom