MJ's little flock

I agree. One of my 'cheer me up over winter' projects is designing a 'chicken garden'.
My idea is to have an area just outside the Chicken Palace door (should that be gates?) that has shrubs, and a seat for me, and which can be fenced. It would be like a step-down from fully free range. I could sit in the garden and have tea, and they can wander about but I don't need to be super scared of the fox situation.
It would not fully predator proofed like the Chicken Palace, but safe enough I would be OK leaving them unsupervised for a few hours in the day. I can do an outer electric fence (yes I am growing in confidence in my electric fence-building abilities!) that would keep foxes out, and the shrubs would give protection from air-borne predators.
What a lovely idea RC! Do you have any established trees in your proposed Chicken garden area? If not would you be planting layers? That is trees (or tree), large shrubs, small shrubs then ground cover. This creates the deep shade that Shad has mentioned before that is good for hot days.

Will you be planting any fruiting plants? I'm trying to get blueberries to grow in the girls run. I figure they can rest underneath it and eat the bottom most fruit and I can have the top!

As you can probably tell I am excited by your garden idea, probably because I am running out of room in mine. 🤣

Even Dink liked Harold.
P3240065.JPG

Back
Top Bottom