MJ's little flock

It about similar breeds preferring each other. What I did with 3 different new breeds in my last integration is not what you want to do. I knew it going in but did it anyway to please Mrs BY Bob. 6 different hens is also one of my problems now. I don't recommend it. I believe that you should at a minimum have pairs of each kind. I am determined to only add pairs moving forward, except I MUST get a Polish friend for Phyllis to hang with.

In general I would agree with this but I will just say that the Campines & Wyandotte bantams have always accepted each other. Partly I suspect because they are similar in size, colouring & personality. Lots of people @ different times have mistaken my Wyandottes for Campines. So it can be done. Just do your research & accept it still may not work out exactly as you hope.

It is why I was reluctant to take the Vorwerks, though they are so pretty. I didn't really know anything about the breed & was worried they would cause problems in a pretty stable flock. I have been lucky but I wouldn't recommend it. :D

It about similar breeds preferring each other. What I did with 3 different new breeds in my last integration is not what you want to do. I knew it going in but did it anyway to please Mrs BY Bob. 6 different hens is also one of my problems now. I don't recommend it. I believe that you should at a minimum have pairs of each kind. I am determined to only add pairs moving forward, except I MUST get a Polish friend for Phyllis to hang with.
Oh dear. I have some thinking to do. Maggie has been a solo since I lost her twin Scary to the fox (RIP scary). So I was thinking a Wyandotte to pair up with Maggie and a Legbar to team up with the other two road runners. But that feels like I am trying to manage their friendships too closely!

On these threads nearly all our flocks are mixed. @micstrachan & I have largish mixed flocks without too many issues while you know @BY Bob has had some major issues with a much smaller flock. It really does boil down to personalities & why I am so careful to choose non dominant breeds. It lessens my chances of big issues.
Always remember the dominance of breeds is by its very nature an average. Each chicken has a unique personality. EEs are not known as dominate hens. What do I get?
20201010_205054.jpg

How safe is it for chickens to get soaked? It has been pouring rain all night and day here, my Jacket is still soaked through from my morning chores, Tarp repairs, and impromptu Cow herding adventures. I was hearing an Odd whirr and couldn’t tell if it was chickens sheltering under my trailer or my generator, and when I went out to turn said genny off was rushed by the chickens. Some of them are as soaked as my morning clothing! It was a chicken noise, I think... I’m steeling myself for the afternoon chores, will probably put out some feed in the trailer coop, but my free range flock is Soggy, Soggy, Soggy!
If they are soaked and it is in the 30s F (below 4°C), I will bring them in and dry them off. But I only have 6 to blow dry. :confused:

Oh dear. I have some thinking to do. Maggie has been a solo since I lost her twin Scary to the fox (RIP scary). So I was thinking a Wyandotte to pair up with Maggie and a Legbar to team up with the other two road runners. But that feels like I am trying to manage their friendships too closely!
I spent several weeks putting Tailess back in with her “appropriate” flock every evening and every morning she would rush back to the Roostie’s flock to lay, them clamor to get out of his pen, only to sneak back in at night. Eventually I just decided she must know what she wants and let it go, expecting disaster. But no, they make an odd group, yet it works!

I understand. He is an exceptional vet. It is however distressing to see how the science is misunderstood. :(
That's probably due to food safety regulations. If he's caught out telling clients they can eat eggs after a fortnight when the regs say "don't say that" he'll be fined.

Back
Top Bottom