MJ's little flock

Following up on the politics exploration started yesterday, I've read the first fascinating detail about Switzerland. It has both direct democracy and representative democracy at the same time, in parallel. So, the Swiss can represent their own views in legislative matters, with powers like challenging any Act of parliament or proposing an amendment to the Swiss constitution.

Their democracy score is 8.9, same as ours!
I'm not sure how that works in reality. 🤔 I enjoyed my time in Switzerland but in many ways it was not a country I was overly comfortable in. I found all the Teutonic nations quite rigid. I like a bit of flex.

I will give you an example from Germany, which still makes me shake my head in bewilderment. Early on a Sunday morning we went to cross the street. Place was completely deserted. No traffic @ all & a lone pedesterian some distance away walking his dog. We jay walked as the shortest distance between 2 points, as we would have @ home in Sydney but without having to dodge traffic. The pedestrian approached us & politely explained in perfect English that we were suppossed to use the pedestrian crossing, which was some distance away. 😶 I still struggle to wrap my head around that one.

I'm not sure how that works in reality. 🤔 I enjoyed my time in Switzerland but in many ways it was not a country I was overly comfortable in. I found all the Teutonic nations quite rigid. I like a bit of flex.

I will give you an example from Germany, which still makes me shake my head in bewilderment. Early on a Sunday morning we went to cross the street. Place was completely deserted. No traffic @ all & a lone pedesterian some distance away walking his dog. We jay walked as the shortest distance between 2 points, as we would have @ home in Sydney but without having to dodge traffic. The pedestrian approached us & politely explained in perfect English that we were suppossed to use the pedestrian crossing, which was some distance away. 😶 I still struggle to wrap my head around that one.
So helpful :lau

I've got a little more detail on the direct democracy side of Swiss government now and how it works is like this: Jane decides the representative side has passed the wrong law, she starts a petition, others agree and sign her petition, the number of signatures grows to more than 50,000 in less than 100 days, satisfying the benchmark for holding a national vote on the matter. Unlike Australians, the Swiss aren't obliged to turn up every time, so only interested people vote on the day. If the outcome of the vote is majority to overturn the law, it's overturned. Thus, those voters directly represent their own views on legislation.

I'm sure there's more to it, so I'll keep looking for details.

I also heard last night the fine for not turning up to an Australian election is only $20 (not a typo), but I haven't confirmed that yet. Also, if something unforeseen occurred like a car crash or isolation, the fine is waived.

Eta $20 is a little over 1% of the average weekly earnings. So that's a very small fine indeed.

Last edited:
@RoyalChick I've strengthened my decision to place two roosts at the same height and mounted opposite to each other. The younger hens still take a lot of pecking at roosting time, so a second roost out of striking range may help establish more peaceful habits at bedtime.

@RoyalChick I've strengthened my decision to place two roosts at the same height and mounted opposite to each other. The younger hens still take a lot of pecking at roosting time, so a second roost out of striking range may help establish more peaceful habits at bedtime.
I think that is a good plan. Though as you know, chickens have ways of messing with our plans!

So helpful :lau

I've got a little more detail on the direct democracy side of Swiss government now and how it works is like this: Jane decides the representative side has passed the wrong law, she starts a petition, others agree and sign her petition, the number of signatures grows to more than 50,000 in less than 100 days, satisfying the benchmark for holding a national vote on the matter. Unlike Australians, the Swiss aren't obliged to turn up every time, so only interested people vote on the day. If the outcome of the vote is majority to overturn the law, it's overturned. Thus, those voters directly represent their own views on legislation.

I'm sure there's more to it, so I'll keep looking for details.
It would’ve interesting to know who has the fairest, most efficient and competent system of government in the world, unless humanity makes that impossible to be a thing.

I also heard last night the fine for not turning up to an Australian election is only $20 (not a typo), but I haven't confirmed that yet. Also, if something unforeseen occurred like a car crash or isolation, the fine is waived.

Eta $20 is a little over 1% of the average weekly earnings. So that's a very small fine indeed.
Is that all? I forgot to vote a couple of years ago :oops: I think it was a state election. The AEC accepted my excuse that I was preoccupied with giving a police evidence-in-chief interview and didn’t fine me.

I will, however, pay chicken tax.
0640B26C-6D05-4928-A6A6-F45C37677045.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom