MJ's little flock

What I'd like to explore one day is the electoral/political system in Switzerland, which I believe is quite different from both the US and Australian systems. Does anyone want to do that with me?
I think Politics is on the BYC not recommended list much like religion as you can see from all the religious threads and signatures.:p

What I do know about Switzerland is that military training is compulsory for every man of military age for so many weeks a year ~ & this is a nation with no standing army. Or they didn't last time I checked. Plus ~ & this astounds me when you consider American gun laws, these military weapons are kept in homes & the man is responsible for their upkeep. I've seen this in action & for a neutral country they are frightening. Oh ~ & they can blow up all their mountain passes @ a moment's notice effectively sealling the country off.
What is interesting to me is Switzerland has more guns per capita than the US but hardly any gun crime.

I'm thinking dividing powers between head of state and prime minister must be beneficial to democracy, same with meaningful power of veto. Finland has these, NZ doesn't.

Maybe these things are too slight to matter.
There is one very very important distinction being missed and that is whether the state is secular or not.
The Finns, Swedes, Danes and from the last figures I saw NZ are not a highly religious culture. They are more likely to vote on the issues rather than faith based lines.

Come on! I'm not falling for that. You vote because of the free sausages.:lol:
Sadly no sausages for voting here. And in the insanity of voter registration in the US (not in my state) it is illegal to give food or water to people waiting to vote.
Clearly, if a vote can be bought for a sausage ... ... ... ... ...

What is interesting to me is Switzerland has more guns per capita than the US but hardly any gun crime.
Yes, because of how they organise their military ~ the guns per capita, not the low crime rate. 🤣 Every man of military age is issued his rifle & it is kept in the house. For a neutral, non aggressive nation they are very well armed.

Sadly no sausages for voting here. And in the insanity of voter registration in the US (not in my state) it is illegal to give food or water to people waiting to vote.
Clearly, if a vote can be bought for a sausage ... ... ... ... ...
What about things like cake stalls and sausage sizzles that raise money for communal projects like schools and libraries? Food would be sold but not free

Back
Top Bottom