MJ's little flock

I have two cat carriers. For chickens, I prefer the one with an opening top as well as a door at one end.

Even so, Mary doesn't fit in a cat carrier. She's quite a large hen, up to my knee, and she's wide too. That's why she travels in the picnic hamper, which she has learnt to escape from.

All the hens dislike being handled, so I always carry them standing on my hand (or hands) at nighttime, off the roosting perch. Then I struggle to place the smaller hens into the open top cat carrier because it's rather squeezy with my arm/arms in the way lifting them down into it. And rather squeezy with my arm in the way carrying them through the end door.

So I'm thinking while the cat carrier is sufficient, it's not optimal. And I have lots of leftover ply to make a more sensible travel box with a larger than a chicken side opening, a perch, a dropped floor for shavings. Handles for carrying, or wheels for rolling. Ventilation holes.

Something like this.

View attachment 3272754
Take pictures once you have finished it. Looks like a good idea.

Take pictures once you have finished it. Looks like a good idea.
It may not get that far if I can find the right-sized rectangular lidded basket, like the one RC showed me.

But if I do ever build the box, I will most definitely share photos.

One of mine likes them as long as they aren't closed or moving :p
He used to sleep in one or sometimes on top. Putting a cat in is another story.
Blossom will eat snacks in her cat carrier but she freaks out if I try to shut the door. I can't wait to try a wide low basket like the one RC shared. I'm hoping it will give us both cause for joy.

Not a chicken-related update

I've been patiently waiting for the builder to take up the project of deconstructing and reconstructing the front verandah. We've had planning approval since February IIRC.

This morning I was at work when loads of notifications from the front and side security cameras came through and there he was! Taking a good look with the engineer! Hooray!

Maybe it will be done for Christmas????

Mary laid her second post-surgery egg today, so I'm thinking she's no longer suffering any stress from her surgery, and her ovulation is returning to normal.

She also seems quite sprightly, running around when she used to walk or jog at most. She was always the last one to start eating at dinner time, and *never* ran to her dinner.

Today, she sprinted over and was in the thick of the scrum, ending up second to start eating.

Mary laid her second post-surgery egg today, so I'm thinking she's no longer suffering any stress from her surgery, and her ovulation is returning to normal.

She also seems quite sprightly, running around when she used to walk or jog at most. She was always the last one to start eating at dinner time, and *never* ran to her dinner.

Today, she sprinted over and was in the thick of the scrum, ending up second to start eating.
That is great news!

That is great news!
She was very youthful! It's awesome that she feels so well.

On the other hand, I'm saddened that she was in pain for so long without me doing anything about it.

I'll be quicker to discuss hens' attitudes in future.

Back
Top Bottom