MJ's little flock

In a year like this year I get to the stage where I cannot look at another peach.
Still too early in the harvest for that - but even today I had three for breakfast and another two for lunch.
And one fell on my head while I was chatting to the chickens so we shared that.
I give a load away and then I start freezing, making crumble which I also freeze.
One year I made chutney which was pretty good.
I should try pie - but I am too busy picking peaches!
The apples are nearly ready too so I am busy.
I'm on a suburban street, so it's an entirely different environment, but I put the double grafted lemon-lime by the front fence so passers by could help themselves. So far it works well with no one emptying the tree. There's always enough fruit left for me.

I'm on a suburban street, so it's an entirely different environment, but I put the double grafted lemon-lime by the front fence so passers by could help themselves. So far it works well with no one emptying the tree. There's always enough fruit left for me.
What a lovely idea.
I am going to call around this afternoon to see if anyone wants to come harvest a bucketful.

Chickens enjoying peaches (not great photos as I am up the hill and outside the fence).

F1493ED7-4788-40FD-8C18-AC1FFD25248A.jpeg
DDC898B9-A723-43B8-97EE-88F107BD1D62.jpeg

She's a wonder! And I was so worried about her, what a numpty I was :lau

This morning my "go" time is 30 minutes earlier than usual, so I was up early enough to put the ramp all the way down and watch the hens come down from the roosting box.

Ivy stood at the top, thinking about it then turning to snack, then thinking about it, then turning to snack again. While Ivy did that, Katie got herself all worked up and flew down. Edie followed Katie's lead and also flew.

Peggy came down from the perch and joined Ivy for snacks.

At last, Ivy walked almost all the way down the ramp, stopping halfway to flap. She hopped off near the bottom.

Peggy did the same.

All this time, Mary was having a lie-in. But as Peggy walked away from the ramp, Mary stepped off the perch and made her stately way down the ramp to the very bottom, and stepped daintily ashore.

The non-slip under the ramp battens is providing lots of traction and building their confidence. I recommend it.
What is the ramp itself made of? I was worried that a ramp would distort in shape (bend in the middle).

What is the ramp itself made of? I was worried that a ramp would distort in shape (bend in the middle).
Merbau planks that are intended for making decks. We were picky and chose 3 very straight ones. We used spacers to keep them apart a little, then connected them underneath with a few nailplates. Then we added the battens, also spaced, which do a bit of structural work.

But I think Merbau planks are inherently resistant to buckling and that's why people like them for decking.

Also there's almost no weight on them.

https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/wood-species/hardwood/merbau

She's a wonder! And I was so worried about her, what a numpty I was :lau

This morning my "go" time is 30 minutes earlier than usual, so I was up early enough to put the ramp all the way down and watch the hens come down from the roosting box.

Ivy stood at the top, thinking about it then turning to snack, then thinking about it, then turning to snack again. While Ivy did that, Katie got herself all worked up and flew down. Edie followed Katie's lead and also flew.

Peggy came down from the perch and joined Ivy for snacks.

At last, Ivy walked almost all the way down the ramp, stopping halfway to flap. She hopped off near the bottom.

Peggy did the same.

All this time, Mary was having a lie-in. But as Peggy walked away from the ramp, Mary stepped off the perch and made her stately way down the ramp to the very bottom, and stepped daintily ashore.

The non-slip under the ramp battens is providing lots of traction and building their confidence. I recommend it.
How wonderful. Next time you should video it! 😉

Zzzz
I am happy to say that now the nectarines are done, the peaches are getting big.
Now it is a race between me, the raccoons, the deer, and the groundhog (who contrary to his name is perfectly willing to climb the tree to get his supper).
Fortunately it is a bumper crop year and there seems to be enough for all of us and plenty left over for the chickens, the wasps and the ants.
Once the raccoons really kick into gear however it is game over for the rest of us unless I sit out all night with a flashlight.
View attachment 3621799
a flashlight?! Bring a slingshot too! Shoot the peach pits at the racoons!!! Thats a heavenly looking peach. I'm drooling kinda 🤤🥲

Your an angel on earth MaryJanet 🥰

Merbau planks that are intended for making decks. We were picky and chose 3 very straight ones. We used spacers to keep them apart a little, then connected them underneath with a few nailplates. Then we added the battens, also spaced, which do a bit of structural work.

But I think Merbau planks are inherently resistant to buckling and that's why people like them for decking.

Also there's almost no weight on them.

https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/wood-species/hardwood/merbau
Thats a serious ramp ya got there! Lucky chickens! 💃 Fancypants!! I love that you can raise it up and Thats real nice all your chickens will do great! 🐓❤️🪺

Back
Top Bottom