MM Chick Survey

Date Recieved Chicks: 3/16/08
How many and what breeds ordered: Ornamental Layers mix, 26 each total
My best guess on the breeds is:
2 Buff Cochins
2 Blue or White Cochins
3 Black with faint white lacing (shouldn't be barred rocks since that's not a rare breed)
1 black Spanish/sumatra??
1 silver laced polish
1 white crested black polish
1 chipmunk chick with yellow/orange legs (so I guess she's not an EE)
13 EE's - very green legs
1 Egyptian Fayoumis
1 free rare chick Buff laced polish (he had orange dye on him which is how I determined which one was the FRC)
How many and what breeds were DOA: none, but I did get them delivered on Sunday morning at 10am after Sat eve shipment.
Lost one small EE chick after 2 days, seemed to be failure to thrive
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: none so far (2 weeks later)
What were their symptoms: N/A
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: not yet
fl.gif

What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): California
Anything else you'd like to add: Feeding Purina Start and Grow, with snacks of fish based cat food and crab grass seed from my yard

Sandy

Date Recieved Chicks: 3/2

How many and what breeds ordered:
10 buff laced polish
Bantams:
4 porcelain
3 millies
3 belgian quail antwerp
5 sultans
plus 1 'exotic' i think its a partridge rock...

and my friend ordered with me: 6 ameraucanas and 12 buff brahma bantams

How many and what breeds were DOA: one polish and a brahma (but they gave me an extra of both)

How many and what breeds showed signs of illness:
4 polish died within 2 days of showing signs
and my runt mille is shaking its head...but its been hanging in there like that for about 2 weeks.
and at least one or 2 brahmas

What were their symptoms:
couldn't walk
shaking of head

At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness:
2 weeks

What State are you in: NJ

Date Recieved Chicks: 3/3/08
How many and what breeds ordered: 39 received, ornamental layer collection and 3 Lakenvelders, 3 Red Pyle Games, 4 black frizzles)
How many and what breeds were DOA: 3 (2 red pyles and a blue cochin)
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: 11 showed symptoms (2 Lakenvelders, 1 buff cochin, 6 EE's, 1 black frizzle, 1 Red Pyle)
What were their symptoms: Not able to walk, some head shaking (only seen in Lakenvelders) not able to eat/drink well
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: 1 1/2-2 weeks old
What State are you in VA:
Anything else you'd like to add: Those 11 chicks were humanely euthanized. Rest seem to be doing fine. MMH refunded me for all chicks lost, including DOA's.

Date Recieved Chicks:
38 chicks on 2/19 all DOA (30 ordered)
31 chicks on 2/25 (replacement order) 1 DOA-free rare chick
How many and what breeds ordered:
14 Golden Wyandottes (GOW)
9 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (BRW)
7 Araucanas (EE)
How many and what breeds were DOA:
38 on 2/19 ( 13 GOW, 10 BLRW, 7 EE, 1 rare (freebee), 7 warmers)
1 on 2/25 (1 rare breed)
1 GOW died 24 hrs after arrival
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness:
14 GOW (all lost)
8 BRW (all lost)
2 EE (all lost)
most were put down due to their weakness and size(last week,1/3 or less normal size), only 3 died on their own, and 5 were put down by vet after she witnessed symptoms.
Weakness, paralysis (notable single leg extended forward), head tremors, uncoordination, dropped wings, very slow growth
6 days old (2/28) and every day more (until 3/21) total 24
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately):
WI
Anything else you'd like to add:
6 chicks surviving- 1 BRW and 5 EE ( appear healthy, no signs of disease)
Waiting for cultures to determine AE or MD from UW. Chicks sent in 3/19.
All chicks ordered were Vaccinated for COVC & Marek's.
Received 23 chicks on 2/26 from different hatchery and housed with MM chicks have not shown signs of any disease, all healthy as of today.

Last edited:
Hello Im new here and have been reading this survey, I suppost to get my chickens from MM today but haven't yet. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what you should do if you get dead chicks as far as disposing of them safely? thanks for your help

Date Recieved Chicks:3-22-08
How many and what breeds ordered:5 blue andalusian roos 6th one free, 25 rainbow pullet pace one extra free, and free rare chick.
How many and what breeds were DOA:None, I picked them up
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness:None, they are growing nicely
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately):Iowa
Anything else you'd like to add:

Date Recieved Chicks: 3/2 hatched 3/1
How many and what breeds ordered: 50 total - 35 various Wyandottes, also 5 BR, 5 WR and 5 BO
How many and what breeds were DOA: 0
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: 4 BO 1 BR all 6 BLRW, 4 SPW, 3 SLW, 1 WW, 2 WR
What were their symptoms: See other posts - same
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: 10 days or so until 17 days or so
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): Maine
Anything else you'd like to add: Put them all down (the sick ones), also infected some of my home hatched chicks that were with them from day one. MMH went good for all of them. There are still two that aren't quite right, but haven't put them down yet, may be something else not AE. Vet advised due to symptoms and circumstances that he felt confident with an AE dx, although he did not test them.

Last edited:
Date Recieved Chicks: 3/18/2008
How many and what breeds ordered: 28 chicks, 2 Americaunas and 25 brown egg layers (mixed) plus exotic
How many and what breeds were DOA: 3 DOA, not sure which breeds
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: 5 more died within 48 hours, 1 was yellow chicks and the rest were the same breed, though I'm not sure what it was -- anywhere I can look at photos -- I'd definitely know them. I had one more die last night (greyish blue chick with white wings), which is two weeks later.
What were their symptoms: They would be fine and then get really wobbly, have trouble standing up and were shaking a lot. Everyone seems to have had diarrhea at one time or another. The ones that died all seemed to be very weak, then unable to walk, finally unable to stand and then they'd die.
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: right away
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): KY
Anything else you'd like to add: Worried about the rest, not sure what's normal as this is my first set of chicks. They are doing odd looking things with their wings, and they keep laying down like they are laying eggs (my dad thought this was weird, he used to keep birds).

Any info. on what's normal behavior and what's worrisome would be helpful. thanks!

Date Recieved: 3/3/08
How many and what breeds ordered: 6 Buff Orpingtons,6Light Bramahs,6 Silver laced wynadotts,
6 Black australorps,6 RIR, 1 free rare chick ?
How many and what breeds DOA: N/A
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: 1 Buff Orpy, 6 light bramahs ,2 SLW,1 free rare chick
What were their symptoms: wobbly ,could not stand, tremors ,
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness:3/9/08
What state are you in: wisconsin

Date Recieved Chicks: March 31, 2008
How many and what breeds ordered: 26 araucana females
How many and what breeds were DOA: None
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: None so far
What were their symptoms: N/A
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: N/A
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): Nevada
Anything else you'd like to add: So far so good - they're big and healthy knock wood.

Back
Top Bottom