MM Sick Chicks Official Diagnosis In...

So should a person just destroy any ones still showing symptoms and keep the recovered ones? Or destroy everything and keep ones never infected? Will the ones that have recovered be good chickens/layers? How do you know if they are no longer infectious and could the healthy ones be carriers? This is very frusterating/dissappointing!

I'm so sorry you all went through this. How awful.
sad.png

I had the same questions. Because I know there are some diseases that the chickens can be carriers and not show any signs. So it really confusing. I don't know if AE is one of those or not.

Quote:
IMHO, it just depends on whether you're a breeder, or just keeping a personal flock. If you're a breeder, it would probably be wise to cull the sick ones, hard as that is. If you're not a breeder but can give them the care they need to survive their fight, then keep them... they may be the best birds you've ever had.

I just found this whole discussion. It answers the awful questions, not the answers I was hoping for.

We have lost several from our 03/03 MM order, and two still trying, all were Araucana and Partridge Cochin.

So sad, but at least I have some answers.

If these last two do pass (or deemed past saving), I will get them tested and send the results to MM.

Kat

Quote:
MM is a very good hatchery. Some things can take a little while to fix. I believe I was told a bird is infectious for 3-5 weeks, and after that, the problem eliminates itself by progeny immunity and those immuned chicks are the ones that you want in your flock. I would talk to a vet if I were in your shoes. To find a good vet, search for Veterinary Diagnostics Lab for your state, or a bordering state.

I am bummed, but certainly not in a panic. When you're dealing with animals, sometimes really strange things happen. I wanted to see if this was going to spread to my Marans and if there was any way I could save those cute Cochins. They were beautiful, and I lost all but the one. I am still sick about the big fluffy butt that is now deceased. I can't even describe how cute it was, and it was going to be HUGE! I still want some of MM's Partridge Cochins. They were growing so fast and were beautiful and friendly - just what I wanted. MM is in the business of producing quality chicks and they have done that for over 90 some years with a great reputation. There is a lot of misinformation floating around right now. Not everyone that had chicks die from MM, has AE, as people have pointed out. I even have 6 healthy breeds from MM that were in the same shipping boxes and everything. They are fine and thriving. Under normal circumstances, MM birds have always grown faster and more consistently for me than any other hatchery. I wanted to make sure that I knew exactly what the sick chicks were suffering from so I didn't have to worry about something down the road. That is why I tested. I can now move the older birds to my new barn and the younger ones to the outside brooder and out of the house without having to worry about causing more problems. I published the info here to help others know why they may be having problems, and how to help try save the chicks.

This is the hardest thing we have ever went through with chickens, but it doesn't compare to horses with broken legs, horses rolling down a mountain in a hired transport, watching my preemie neice and nephew pass away, or finding out a family member has cancer. I can think of a lot worse things. I am sad for our loss, and everyone's loss, but knowing for sure made this a good day and something we can move on from. My little chicks are even going to be used to teach vet students, which is even another silver lining. I am sorry for all you that also have the sick chicks. I could have tested ours earlier, and chose not to. Sometimes I need reminding of the "Why not me?" instead of always thinking the "Why me?"

I just wanted to say "THANKS" to all of you that went through with the necropsies to find out what was happening and also helping people in the same predicament. I canceled my order with MM.
I could not have gone through the heart ache that all of you have had to bare. Sorry for your losses, I would not have done well with it.
THANKS AGAIN.
-Theresa
PS--Sorry if I sound so dramatic.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom