MN - Twin Cities central - BYC meet and greet potluck & swap 01/17/09

Jsut an update - We're hoping to make it on the 17th. We do have a committment, but hoping to get out of it, so we can meet with y'all.

Let you know for sure as soon as possible.

I'm thinking that I will put my fuzzy baby quail in with my other fuzzy baby chickens and see what happens. I have marans hatching on the 20th and I have mille fleur bantams hatching on the 29th. Hopefully everyone will play nice in the faux brooder.

I have had very good luck with my mixed flock... I have everything from Belgian d'Everbergs that are absolutely tiny to my giant roos (The 2 biggest are my Lt. Brahma and my Blue Jersey... they are freaking huge!) The only chicken to show any aggression was a young silkie roo, and he got put in his place very quickly, with a minimum of fuss and pecking.

AllChookUp - I hope you can come! I've enjoyed chatting on email, and would love to put a face to the name.

Katie

Quote:
Augh! I have to choose?! hahaha. I like Roo#2's feathers best, but I keep coming back to Roo#3 and laughing at the Little General. Someone told me Seramas don't breed true, that they throw multicolour hatches - is that true? My brain wants to pair Roo #3 with the pullet for colourbreeding, but my heart wants one of the chicken coloured roos
smile.png

-Spooky

Quote:
I'd definitely go with the Coturnix then. The baby buttons are about the size of a thumbnail. If you went with fledgies big enough to be in with chicks, you'd be in danger of having the buttons pick on 'em. They're brats
tongue.png

-Spooky

Quote:
Augh! I have to choose?! hahaha. I like Roo#2's feathers best, but I keep coming back to Roo#3 and laughing at the Little General. Someone told me Seramas don't breed true, that they throw multicolour hatches - is that true? My brain wants to pair Roo #3 with the pullet for colourbreeding, but my heart wants one of the chicken coloured roos
smile.png

-Spooky

To be honest whitey the last roo has the best type but is kind of a spazz, both the other roos are pretty good, I have handled them alot to tame them down. Roo #2 has the best tail the other that looks similar has a pretty short tail but will probably fill out a bit better then he looks right now. They don't breed true so they say but I have a cockrel who is the offspring of my black hen and orangish roo and he looks EXACTLY like his daddy. Roo #3 (whitey) is looking pretty rough right now because of molting and the girls just wouldn't quit preening his neck feathers he is the oldest, I bought him last june at 3 months old so he is about 10 months old. The other boys are just about to turn 3 months on the 15th. I am of no help to decide because if i had my way i would keep them all lol. I hatched out 12 eggs, out of those 12 eggs 5 were from my flock the others were eggs i bought on eggbid. I only intending to keep 1 breeding pair to add to my small flock of seramas. I do plan on hatching out more chicks in the spring. The pullet is gorgeous in person, pics don't do her any justice. SHe is like a cream and salmon color with orange around her neck. I think she is gonna be a C class but its so hard to tell until they are about 6 months old or even up to a year. The pics aren't the best but those lil buggers dont stay still for very long. I think roo #3 will end up looking alot like my rooster bernie. Lot of the same color patterns going on there. Here is a pic of bernie when i first got him and after that pic a more recent pic to show how much he changed.
IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a button, and it'd fly right out of a rabbit coop
smile.png
You need a finch cage with less than 1/2" wire spacing
big_smile.png
Otherwise they get their heads stuck in it or escape. They're /really/ tiny. Think the size of a house finch. Smaller than a parakeet by about half.

-Spooky

Quote:
I think it's just how Whitey's standing. It just makes me giggle. I understand wanting to keep all of them
smile.png
I'm up to my ears in quail babies and I want to keep all of those, but they must go to new homes so I can hatch more. I guess I'm lucky you don't have another spare pullet around or I'd wind up with two pairs.
smile.png
The little pullet is gorgeous in the pictures. I love the pattern of the colours on her feathers. I've already named her Peaches in my head
tongue.png
Now I just have to decide if I want a chicken coloured roo or the little general.

(and how lame is that? I'm on a chicken board with a zillion different chicken colours and that's all I can think of to call the cockerels.)
-Spooky

Spooky -

OH!!! Now I KNOW I want a button quail! How CUTE!!!!!!!! We'll probably get a Coturnix or 2 as well.......

Can you tell it is a sickness with me?
lol.png

Katie

Back
Top Bottom