Moaning neighbour

hellfire

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Plymouth Devon UK
I've had chickens some time now. I'm on a farm and part of farm life. We have some cottages on the farm where others live. I recently got A lovely dutch bantam cockerell Steve several months old. He's crowing as he should. Not all the time. My neighbour has been really nasty only noticing him today even tho he's been here a month now. Apparently they can't sit in the garden as its a terrible constant noise and uve got to get rid of it and what's the point of it?! What's the point of your yappy dog?! I really dont know what to do. He's the old man who sues everyone and has taken more ppl to court for pathetic things so im worried now. I've put up with a lot over the years from him. My hens make more noise louder that Steve. I know Steve does not crow all day hours on end although he says he does. He's also shouted at the cows and horses to shut up! What do I do?

Hmmm. He sounds like he has a lot of aggro. Your neighbour, not your Steve. Ask your neighbour to give it a bit of time. See if he gets used to it. Offer him free eggs and ask him to give it a month's trial. If he still can't stand the sound of a rooster crowing in a months time then have a new conflab. But I'll bet he gets used to it. It's like trains. It becomes part of the sound landscape of the country. And he will like the eggs. Then you give him some pullets. Then you give him a cockerel!

Sounds like your neighbor is a very un-happy person. I am sorry you live next to that. I don't understand how people can move into the country and still demand or rather expect it to be like living in the city. If your not a country loving person and don't like what the country entails then why move their? People must understand that if your live in an area suspect to the ownership of livestock and other animals then you may or may not encounter them in some way or another.

In your case, Steve's (love the name, that's my father-law!) crow. I would not agitate him any further by means of a confrontation but I would state your case to the police if they show up. You might also feel you should go to them first before your neighbor! I would also look up the zoning laws in your area and make for certain that you are allowed to have livestock and that it is with-in reason. With-in reason meaning that you keep them away from your neighbors property and restricted to where they should be according to zoning laws (fences, coops, stalls, etc.). I always say a bit of smarts along with integrity and honesty go along way. In your case, if your doing the right thing and you have followed all the rules of your area; then your neighbor can cry all he wants too as long as you do what's right and with-in reason.

Arm yourself by educating yourself. It's most likely an attempt your neighbor has already taken. Don't be left without the knowledge and know-how of your area, beat him at his game!

Good luck, I hope other's have some better advice for you.

Last edited:
Ha ha give him a cockerall! thanks for the info. I know for a fact I can keep livestock. im a working 186 ac farm. it is strange how he's only just heard him. Builders have been in his garden all day today from 9 untill 5. I asked them if they'd heard Steve and they said hardly at all.
I think ill wait see if any more is said. The chux are free range but Steve does hang about the coop a lot so moved it father away from the neighbours. Can't change fields tho as this is the best for them with a stream small woodland fully meshed all around the outside too to stop them going to far. Also a old piggery which they love going in when its wet. Not depriving them of all that!
I agree if you move next to a working farm you expect that noise!

Willing to bet he's REALLY only heard him crow once, since you said the workers at your house couldn't hear it, and from the sounds of it he's just one of those people that wants there to be drama. Though I agree diplomacy would be the least stressful option, if he's willing.

Oh sad-Haters are gonna hate.
idunno.gif
Try the free eggs. Think he will start liking Steve if he gets freebies lol Hope it all works out for you!

Hes been having eggs from me for a long time anyway along with a free range turkey at Xmas. I'm moving the coop later so more distance between Steve and him. put up with so much over the years. Dumping hedge cutting in my field and not clearing up breaking my fence after chopping his trees down then the trees and mess left in the field for 7months untill I cleared it. Big fires burning rubber etc. I've not moaned but now my livestock are at risk I've had enough. Annoyed me so much. Our other neighbours bar 1 are great and know they've moved in a cottage on a farm yard surrounded by livestock cattle barns horses etc all of which is noisy. Especially at the moment with calfs coming. Not to mention Steve! everyone else loves him and said his crows quite funny as not loud really like a big roo.

Hes been having eggs from me for a long time anyway along with a free range turkey at Xmas. I'm moving the coop later so more distance between Steve and him. put up with so much over the years. Dumping hedge cutting in my field and not clearing up breaking my fence after chopping his trees down then the trees and mess left in the field for 7months untill I cleared it. Big fires burning rubber etc. I've not moaned but now my livestock are at risk I've had enough. Annoyed me so much. Our other neighbours bar 1 are great and know they've moved in a cottage on a farm yard surrounded by livestock cattle barns horses etc all of which is noisy. Especially at the moment with calfs coming. Not to mention Steve! everyone else loves him and said his crows quite funny as not loud really like a big roo.
Ugh-sounds like the guy just likes to complain.
rant.gif
You are doing your best and hey, that's all you can do. Hopefully he will find something else to occupy his time and leave you and your animals alone.

Back
Top Bottom