1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mohawk chick!! Broody caused or? PICS! (graphic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by featherz, Aug 20, 2011.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Just hatched out three buff orpington chicks under a very good and reliable broody. She was just sitting there clucking and when I checked the chicks, one had been scalped into a mohawk! I assumed she did it, but she didn't finish killing or eating him, so it strikes me as odd. What would cause this kind of injury? Did she grab it by the head to pull it out of the egg? It's peeping and stumbling around like a normal chick and the eye on the 'bad' side appears normal when I open the lid.

He appears to have one slash on each 'cheek' that bleed intermittently, thus the cornstarch. I removed the first two chicks from mom and have them separated (one normal and one mohawk). The last chick just zipped so it's still under mom. Any thoughts? Weird 'gills' birth defect? Mom slashed him on each cheek as a rite of passage? cut on the egg? Maybe another hen snuck in and attacked?

In either case, even if the broody did not herself do this, I assume poor chickie and hatchmate need to stay away from mom. [​IMG] Seeing all that blood will not be a good thing I would guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Just an update.. chick is still hanging in there.. Chick #3 died after zipping, perfectly formed [​IMG]. Now broody has no chicks until I decide what's happening with poor mohawk chick.. So far so good.

3. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    [​IMG] that looks very painful...sorry about the others. My incubator is popping out chicks one or two at a time. [​IMG] One had unabsorbed yolk sac and wry neck, had to hold it while I figured how to keep the others from pecking it, but seems stronger now . My one BO that is in the brooder now looks like a runt. One or two more BOs are hatching right now we will see how they do. I was planning to replace my roo with one of his sons, since he is kinda mean, but wonder if that is a good idea now since one of the hens he would be with would be his mom. [​IMG]

Hope our little chickie grows stronger quickly.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I ended up putting the one healthy one back with mom. It was the saddest thing ever - she was standing outside the coop clucking for babies that would not come.. ack!! I put her one good one in her nest and she popped right in and sat on it. Mohawk chick now has bluecote so I may try it back with mom too IF it's doing well and under supervision. Still wonder what happened. Have heard of broodies killing babies, but she wasn't trying to do anything to it. I'm wondering if it was cut by an eggshell or something.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Unless you saw her do it, I wouldn't blame her. Could have been stepped on while hatching, could have been a birth defect, cut my eggshell, pecked by other chick, anything.

6. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    poor baby!! I just want to love it! [​IMG] hopefully it'll be fine [​IMG]

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Poor thing. Good luck, hope the Mom is a good girl now, much easier that way.

8. In His Service

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Aww...so sad. [​IMG] I have no words to help make sense of it.

10. In His Service

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    How are momma and babies doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by