Mold in Feed

GermanRooster

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2021
The feed store is about an hour drive from my home, so I often purchase several bags of layer pellets on my visit. They were very low on supplies most likely due to the covid related shortages on goods. I probably got old pellets because many had mold. I store a smaller amount in 5 gallon cans to make it easier to handle. I noticed leaving the lid off the 5 gallon can in my greenhouse greatly reduced the smell of mold. Its very dry, but leaving the lid on keeps the mice out of the feed. I was wondering how others store their feed to keep out mold?
PS. Rather than make another 2 hour round trip to the feed store, they offered a reduction on the price on my next visit. I think that was a nice solution.

Honestly, the feed never lasts long enough out here to get moldy! Chickens? More like pigs with feathers!

I just store mine in big metal garbage cans. I wonder if you could fashion a lid out of hardware cloth for keeping the mice out while you store them in your greenhouse?

The feed store is about an hour drive from my home, so I often purchase several bags of layer pellets on my visit. They were very low on supplies most likely due to the covid related shortages on goods. I probably got old pellets because many had mold. I store a smaller amount in 5 gallon cans to make it easier to handle. I noticed leaving the lid off the 5 gallon can in my greenhouse greatly reduced the smell of mold. Its very dry, but leaving the lid on keeps the mice out of the feed. I was wondering how others store their feed to keep out mold?
PS. Rather than make another 2 hour round trip to the feed store, they offered a reduction on the price on my next visit. I think that was a nice solution.
Never feed them moldy food!

Bring the feed back to the store and get something fresh.

Always check the mill date on each bag before you buy it! And store the feed, still in it's bag from the store, in metal garbage cans. Mine are right in the coop, up off the floor, and inside, so not in the rain or snow. I use the feed within two months of it's mill date, and have never had mold or insect issues, since it's been fresh and stored properly.
Moldy feed is not good eats!!!
Mary

I store most of my feed in the garage (insulated), in metal trash cans, with the actual feeder outside near the coop in another metal trash cans. No moisture or mold issues for me.

Likely you got old feed or feed that was improperly stored at the feed store itself, so in that case it's on the store to fix things before the problem gets passed on to the consumer.

Mold is generally produced by moisture. Fresh feed can definitely mold. It can be improper storage or excess humidity. I've had feed mold due to excess outdoor humidity (its stored in a plastic garbage can with an ill fitting lid). I usually leave my feed in its original bag but stored inside the container.
I would venture to guess that inside a greenhouse the moisture content would be above what it would be in a shed?
I am part of a dog forum. Every once in awhile someone will post that their feed molded and generally when you ask how they store it, the response is almost always - air tight container.
If you think the feed came to you moldy, take it back and get a substitute. Either way it's not a good practice to feed moldy feed.

Back
Top Bottom