Mold in my water with ACV?

I built an elaborate system with an 18 gallon tote and pvc gravity feeding 10 chick nips and I also used ACV.

It wasn't 2 months in and it was growing black mold.....I still do not understand how you can have a system like that and not have mold.....the mold was growing in the pvc as well as the tote.....

The whole housing was sunlight proof.

I have instead opted for a easily cleaned system, but it sure was nice to be able to go out once a week and fill that tote.....

Point being that any set up needs to be easily broken down and cleaned......silicon and pvc just is not.

My 2 cents......if anyone has figured out how to do this without that problem, let me know please :)

ACV isn't sterile nor is it a sterilizer. It'll prevent SOME mold/bacteria from growing and slow the growth of SOME mold/bacteria, but it will also have NO effect at all on others. Absolutely nothing prevents the need to physically scrub down perpetually damp/wet surfaces with soap and water, especially when left at room temperature or above.....
Your right red, not even sinking a cucumber in a 50% concentration of ACV and water will kill all mold and bacteria. If it would kill all mold and bacteria then there would be no need to load up a jar of cucumbers that are destine to become pickles with salt and then process the jar, cucumbers, salt, vinegar, and all in boiling water to keep the cucumbers from spoiling. The alternative is to put your homemade pickles in the refrigerator where the temperature is to low to support the growth of most species of mold and bacterial. Maybe ice water is what you are supposed to give your chickens to drink.

When a DYI book on how to raise chickens tells you to give your flock clean FRESH water daily, it means that you are supposed to toss out the old, the dirty, and the stale water each day, and then replace it every day with new, clean, and fresh water. Don't get on my case for being snarly, most if not all of us from time to time has missed the ideal of fresh, clean water. I know I have. Perhaps the recommendations in the DYI books should be edited to read "wholesome water" or else "water that hasn't been unnecessarily augmented with chemicals". Because it I truly wanted to keep my chickens' water clean and fresh looking for a real long, long time, and without me having to lift my hand to do so, I believe that Clorox laundry Bleach would fill the bill just fine and at a mere fraction of the cost..

My mom tried to make ACV. but mold grew in it. It seems when you have it covered, it grows mold quickly, because its moist and warm. She covered it with a screen, and there was no more mold. But I myself would use a glass container, because plastic can absorb, as well as release its chemicals into the water. ACV works wonders on alot of things, but cant deter every mold. A good tip is to make a new batch of ACV water every time you water your birdies.
wink.png

Last edited:
My mom tried to make ACV. but mold grew in it. It seems when you have it covered, it grows mold quickly, because its moist and warm. She covered it with a screen, and there was no more mold. But I myself would use a glass container, because plastic can absorb, as well as release its chemicals into the water. ACV works wonders on alot of things, but cant deter every mold. A good tip is to make a new batch of ACV water every time you water your birdies.
wink.png

I've tried the method (open container) your mom used and end up with mold as well. The molds thrive on the sugars in the apple juice. I tried this method and it worked wonderfully:

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/homemade-apple-cider-vinegar.html

The main difference is to ferment the apple juice under an airlock first for about 2 months, in a warm/dark place. It will now be alcoholic cider, which will inhibit mold. Then remove the airlock and rubberband a papertowel over the container and in 2 months it will be vinegar. It's best not to disturb the container during the process, as the vinegar mother will sink if you move the container. We had no mold issues this time around, just very delicious ACV.

I've tried the method (open container) your mom used and end up with mold as well. The molds thrive on the sugars in the apple juice. I tried this method and it worked wonderfully:

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/homemade-apple-cider-vinegar.html

The main difference is to ferment the apple juice under an airlock first for about 2 months, in a warm/dark place. It will now be alcoholic cider, which will inhibit mold. Then remove the airlock and rubberband a papertowel over the container and in 2 months it will be vinegar. It's best not to disturb the container during the process, as the vinegar mother will sink if you move the container. We had no mold issues this time around, just very delicious ACV.

Thanks! My mom only had her container covered with screen for 3 days (not really enough time for mold to grow). So, that probably wasnt~ the best tip, sorry bout that
barnie.gif
. She had her ACV on a high shelf for a month, and it grew nasty black mold. But she did read that if you can get rid of the mold on the top, it is safe to drink. She tried it, and sure enough, its true. But i think that she needs to have her ACV up for like 3 months, not one, lol. Btw, thanks for the helpful link!
smile.png

I have chicks and have small black mold spots in my ACV waterer. I put 1 teaspoon of ACV per gallon of water, and in the base and jug part of the waterer there is mold. I am afraid to give the chicks water in it, but i can't deny them water either. Please help!!
fl.gif

I'm in-between chicks/chickens now so doing a lot of reading.
I have had the same issue with mold in the water container I mix my ACV in. I've cleaned the container with chlorine & scrubbed, keep it in the house overnight but it returns. Also noticed the waterer gets a slimy feel to it, I change & scrub it every day.
Here's another, I use distilled ACV (straight) in water bottle containers (cut in have with the top inverted into the bottom) for fruit flies we get in the house. It works however I notice it turns to gel in certain rooms; bathroom & dining room, kept under light; but not in the kitchen or outside. So I'm thinking heat does affect it some how....Interesting.

I'm in-between chicks/chickens now so doing a lot of reading.
I have had the same issue with mold in the water container I mix my ACV in. I've cleaned the container with chlorine & scrubbed, keep it in the house overnight but it returns. Also noticed the waterer gets a slimy feel to it, I change & scrub it every day.
Here's another, I use distilled ACV (straight) in water bottle containers (cut in have with the top inverted into the bottom) for fruit flies we get in the house. It works however I notice it turns to gel in certain rooms; bathroom & dining room, kept under light; but not in the kitchen or outside. So I'm thinking heat does affect it some how....Interesting.

This is where it is SO helpful when people put their physical location in their profile! You live in Hawai'i, which depending on which side of an island you live on, will be humid more than the other. But all sides of the island are still quite humid compared to say, Nevada. Molds LOVE humidity. They are everywhere, including in the air. If I were you, I'd toss your container and stop storing mixed ACV in it. Just mix it fresh each time you fill up the waterer. Or try borax, several posts back, "Chemguy" wrote that borax is great for killing mold. But I have no idea how much/how long to soak your container with the borax. Borax can be toxic, so you would want to be sure to rinse it well.

You might also want to sanitize your waterer with bleach, borax or iodine (but only one, not all three).

Back
Top Bottom