Mollie Sunshine Chronicles

Here is a picture of one of my little peeps. As you can see she is a gorgeous Partridge Silkie.
little peep.jpg
I will take more pics. of the littles and post. I take lots of photos but they hardly ever come out the way I want. The littles are 15 weeks now.
I began cleaning out the deep litter in my main hen coop last night. The leaves are beginning to fall so it's a perfect time. I pulled back the mulch etc. in one of my gardens and placed the litter underneath and pulled back over the covering. I am making some really good dirt n my coop again this season! I tried to post a video of the composted material last season but it just wouldn't. I will try again this week and if it won't I will at least post a picture. I found that leaves work the best because they break down readily. I packed several large bags full of leaves last fall to last me but it didn't. I found myself riding around town looking for bags of leaves that people left for the trash to haul out. I knocked on the doors and let them know I wasn't a crazy person, just a person in need of leaves for my coops ;) This year I will have family pack their leaves for me also.
Miss Precious' gashes on her head and neck are healing really well. I need to work on the integration with Lucy this weekend. I've said it before, this working for a living is really interfering with my extra correcular activities! There's always something to do on my little microfarm.
I've been reading a lot of posts lately regarding roosters and how we as owners shouldn't get too close to them. Sorry guys, I can't buy this. I have 14 roosters and not a bad one in the bunch. Is it pure luck....who knows. My boys look forward to seeing me. Especially, as I've mentined before, my Sir Romeo Luigi. This boy is really something else. He won't settle in his coop at night until I put him to roost. He will wait patiently in his run for me as I close up the other coops. He gets so excited when he sees me approaching his run. I lift him and hold him for a bit, tell him how handsome he is. Then he's ready to join the other boys in the coop to roost for the night. My neighbor who uses his roosters as poultry was over my place one day and he was amazed at the beautiful sounds my roosters make. They don't just crow folks. They purr etc. I finally discovered which sound is for danger. It was dusk one night and close to their time to roost when flying above were some bats. The roos tilted their heads looking upwards and made this loud pitch sound. So now I know what that sound means.
The one thing I have noticed that people have advised will occurr, is I do see the boys finally calming down with the hormones. I heard get them through the first year and they improve. Well, that didn't happen. Then I read after 2 years. They are approximately 1.5 years and I think they are finally stabilizing. I recently noticed the witching hour does not seem to be happening any longer. This is the time of day usually close to roosting time that the shot of testosterone and adreline kicks in. They could be foraging all day with each other then BAM! the witching hour hits and they begin to chase a chosen rooster. They haven't been doing this lately. Yaaay, is all I have to say.:celebrate Hopefully, this is the way their behavior continues. Drives me nuts!
Ok, one last story about my roo's then it's back to work for me. This weekend my neighbor 2 doors down, his pig got loose.....again. It's huge, 700 or so pounds. The girls were free ranging and it was getting close to the time to return to their coops when he decided to do this. The girls run into the woods. I see them getting themselves deeper and deeper in the woods. Now I'm worried! I go off chasing them to no avail. The more I chase, the deeper they go. So I head back to the house and hope for the best. I hear them making that where's my flock screech. I was never so happy to hear the boys screech that gosh awful screech they do! Bringing the girls back home. I do a head check before I close things up and all are safe and secure. I thanked the boys. Needless to say, the next day the pig got loose again. This time he got into my neighbors horse stalls. Scared the horses.....the pig is no more.....

This 4th and last, for a while, integraton of the chickies is the longest it's ever taken and I swear won't let up. :barnie:he I placed Lucy in a crate and allowed Ellie May and the littles out. Overall, Ellie May was good. Then she began chasing them; Precious was beginning to really stress out so the before the end of the day I placed them back in their crate. This morning Lucy and Ellie May are in the littles crate, I kept Precious in hers and the other littles have the coop and run to themselves. The Porcelain U'ccle and Easter Egger discovered her cut and began pecking at it the other day so until it completely heals I won't allow her out unless I am there to monitor. Will it ever end! This should already be done by now!

The hens in the main coop, their feathers are fillng in nicely. The boys really did a job on them. Mollie Sunshines are almost completely in.

I didn't work on the coops at all this weekend. I hade to do inside house stuff. Now I feel somewhat behind on what needs to be done in the coops to prepare for winter but if I do a little after work each day it will undoubtedly get done. Right now it's basically cleaning the last 6 months coop litter. The job has been made bigger only because I have to remove the mulch etc. in my gardens to place the compost.

This fall I want to place a corregated roof system on the main coop runs. They are dog kennels with the kennel tops. The tarp cover that comes with it doesnt actually run to the ends so I placed a large tarp over the top of this tarp. It works great except in the winter and rain. The boys obviuosly was hooked tighter and there's not as much rain that pools up, only one area. The girls on the other hand, 2 areas pool with rain and I have to lift and drain it after a rain storm. Granted, the corregated system is going to be a pain in winter with snow as well. I dread it all ready. But I want to purchase a size slightly larger than the kennel so I will have overhang. This way, the run along the egdes will stay dryer when it's raining. Bad news, this gives me one more thing to do.....because i'm not busy enough:D

Sorry to hear about your integration problems! I know how coop projects can be, as I'm currently working on a pretty big one. :th

I would love to see some pictures of your coop. :)

Hey who dat! That's not the voices in my head hehehehehe
This intergration is beginning to be like a horror show whose episodes never seem to quit. A season of American Horror Story

Yes, I will post some pics. of our coops. We have 2 that hubby built (main coops). One that I bought from TS that was supposed to be just a holding coop for 3 boys and a coop I puchased online. It's small but good construction. As mentioned this coop was intentially only to house 3 roo's. But i had to find a safe place for Lucy. So to give Lucy her own small community I purchased Silkies and the D'Uccle. They are compact and fit nicely. We all know how that's working out!

Here are pics. of our coops
coop.jpg coop2.jpg coop3.jpg
coop4.jpg
Top left coop is Lucy, Ellie and littles. The next is the 3 roo's, girls main coop followed by roo's main coop.
As you can see from the photos of the girls, the main coops runs are parallel to one another so boys and girls can see each other and flirt. The 2 smaller coops also have a run that in theory are similar in fashion. This run is built strictly of pallets. I didn't want to spend any more money after purchasing what is now the 3 roo's coop and Lucy's. The pallets were free. It looks nice actually. Looks like fencing. Hubby screwed them together and the inner seperator are pallets stacked 2 high. The inner sides are completely covered in netting and at the bottom is the netting with an overlay of wire. I initally placed a green tarp for the roof cover but absolutely no light emitted through. I went on line and found a company that carries clear heavy duty tarp. Works perfectly!
Lucy and Ellie May were let out of prison this morning. I placed them in the run with food and water. I intend on seeing what happens tonight with them and the littles. Wish me luck! It will happen one day.....The 3 boys were so excited to see the girls in the run this morning.
Sir Romeo Luigi absolutely cracks me up! I got home last night and walked in the back room that leads out to the deck. Who's peering in the door window....Romeo of course! He see's me and begins to get excited. He begins pacing and making his warbling sounds.
I have to post a pic. of the cat that has adopted us. He "helps" me with the coop chores in the early morning and evenings. He's been around for a few years and familiar with everyones farm animals so he and the chickies don't bother one another. He used to come and go but lately he's been staying around. He's becoming a good cat. He was very scittish over the years but now he follows me around and peers inside the coops watching me. I guess he is officially our coop cat.

Here are pics. of our coops
View attachment 1152084 View attachment 1152085 View attachment 1152086
View attachment 1152087
Top left coop is Lucy, Ellie and littles. The next is the 3 roo's, girls main coop followed by roo's main coop.
As you can see from the photos of the girls, the main coops runs are parallel to one another so boys and girls can see each other and flirt. The 2 smaller coops also have a run that in theory are similar in fashion. This run is built strictly of pallets. I didn't want to spend any more money after purchasing what is now the 3 roo's coop and Lucy's. The pallets were free. It looks nice actually. Looks like fencing. Hubby screwed them together and the inner seperator are pallets stacked 2 high. The inner sides are completely covered in netting and at the bottom is the netting with an overlay of wire. I initally placed a green tarp for the roof cover but absolutely no light emitted through. I went on line and found a company that carries clear heavy duty tarp. Works perfectly!
Lucy and Ellie May were let out of prison this morning. I placed them in the run with food and water. I intend on seeing what happens tonight with them and the littles. Wish me luck! It will happen one day.....The 3 boys were so excited to see the girls in the run this morning.
Sir Romeo Luigi absolutely cracks me up! I got home last night and walked in the back room that leads out to the deck. Who's peering in the door window....Romeo of course! He see's me and begins to get excited. He begins pacing and making his warbling sounds.
I have to post a pic. of the cat that has adopted us. He "helps" me with the coop chores in the early morning and evenings. He's been around for a few years and familiar with everyones farm animals so he and the chickies don't bother one another. He used to come and go but lately he's been staying around. He's becoming a good cat. He was very scittish over the years but now he follows me around and peers inside the coops watching me. I guess he is officially our coop cat.
Your coops look good. Good luck with your introductions. I hope they go better for you in the future.

I have lots of pictures to share!
20171009_111550.jpg
I took this photo so you can see the 6 month compost in my hen house. I have a hard floor and it took a while to figure things out but in the end was worth it. So yes, if asked if the deep litter method can be accomplished on a hard floor, the answer is yes.
20171009_111335.jpg
I need to begin with a photo of Molly Sunshine. Her feathers have not completely grown in but most of it has filled in. Darn boys.
20171009_102532.jpg
This is Chanel, a.k.a. precious. I couldn't tell until they were all together who was who. Hopefully her fluff will grow back. She's still pretty. Her gashes have completely healed.
20171009_101308.jpg
This is Coco to Chanel. She has a lot of black coloring.
20171009_100018.jpg
My Porcelain D'Uccle. She's quite the poser! Oh, is that a camera. Do my feathers look ok? Beautiful coloring.
20171009_110528.jpg
My Mille Fleur D'Uccle. She's quite the squawker. Miss Fleur.
20171009_111544.jpg
My Barred Rock named Norma Jean. We bought her at the local county fair last summer.
20171009_103108.jpg
To other littles. I haven't named these two yet.

This weekend proved to be productive. I had the Easter Egger and the Porcelain D'uccle seperate from the Silkies because they would peck at Chanel since she was attacked by Lucy. I placed the 2 of them in a sperate crate for a couple of days. Sunday, I put the D'uccle with the Silkies and she did well. I anticipated this would happen. She wouldn't peck until the EE pecked first. Yesterday I allowed the EE in with them to see what would happen. She pecked a couple of times and when she did I used my finger to poke her back. She got the hint. She would go for Chanel but hesitated each time. Yay! Now the littles are all together again. Then I said to self, I wonder if Ellie May can be with the littles. She and Lucy have been in a crate in the run for a few days now when the littles are out there. Yay! She did really well. Ellie and the littles roosted together last night. We are almost there! Lucy remains in a crate in the run and coop. I feel horrible because she really is a very good girl. I look forward tot he day that I have no crates in the coop or run. Some day.....

I had taken one other picture
20171009_100850.jpg
Marlaina, my EE. She is a week yonger than the rest of the littles and seems to hve taken over as alpha. The Porcelain D'uccle hids under her when she's scared. The EE is a few times larger than she is.

You have a very pretty flock! :love
Thank you, I have to agree!
I truly enjoy my birds. I have really good birds.
Lucy isn't liking being cooped up in the crates. I feel horrible. I took her out of the one in the coop to place her in the one in the run this morning and she didn't want anything to do with it. I think I will try her with the littles after work today. I will at least take her out of it to let her free range. She's such a good girl.

Back
Top Bottom