Molting - affecting young ones?

m3shelly

Chirping
Mar 25, 2018
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
History: I have 2 light brahmas that are 1.5 years old, and 2 that are about 30 weeks old.

The days are getting shorter, so I added light to their coop to add a couple hours in the am and pm.

About 1.5 months ago, the little ones started laying small, funky shaped eggs, as normal. Then, after only a couple small eggs from them, the older gals started to molt, and all egg production stopped.

I'm feeding them all layers food, from Fleet Farm (Wisconsin's version of WalMart for farm and pet supplies). They get a side of oyster shells, fresh water, and get to free range our huge yard when I'm home before dark (1-2 times/week, and most of the weekend).

I'm wondering if the molting of the older gals is affecting the young ones. I didn't have issues last fall, when just the older ones existed and not molting, with the false light and food from same store (not sure if it's the same brand). They actually produced quite well over the entire winter.

I'm also wondering if the quality of food may make the difference. Fleet Farm sells a lot of chicken feed, runs, etc, but over this last summer I got a large bag of layers feed from our local farm co-op, which *might* be higher quality (not sure though).

Only other change this year relative to last is the addition of a new Boston Terrier puppy. All birds were accustomed to our old Boston, who rarely bothered them, but the puppy tends to chase them every so often to try and play. We're working on that since it's too rough. No injuries, but we don't like it.

Any suggestions from experienced owners would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Lots of things can affect laying at this time of year. But that last part in your post about the new puppy chasing the chickens is probably your reason. Being chased by a dog, which chickens know by instinct is their natural predator, causes more stress than you are probably aware of. Stress directly affects laying.

The other factors, short days, breed type, diet, and unknown factors such as possible parasites can also affect laying. Adding supplemental light without addressing all of the other possible causes may not solve your problem.

I feed sprout brand from fleet farm. I use their all flock ration, and their chick starter. I like it, and my birds do well on it.

The layer is a lower protein, so you may slow stuff down feeding it. When did you switch to a layer?

Different birds means different production. You can't compare your older hens to the younger unless they are directly related.

Most hens will lay less and more sporadic this time of year. New layers can often start than stop for a bit. That's normal.

The extra light may add extra stress, so will the puppy, and can affect laying.

Thanks for all the info. I just noticed, after seeing them during real daylight yesterday, only one of the old gals is molting. Poor girl looks like crap.

I was worried about the food because I noticed some wet clumps in the bag when I opened it, and some had green spots. I've used Fleet Farm food before without issue, but then bought from a co-op last spring, then back to Fleet Farm food a couple weeks ago. The big ones have been on layers feed since last year, and I had two types of food, layers and chick starter, before the little ones started laying. I'm going to stop and get co-op food tomorrow.

Regarding the puppy; I considered the fear factor. They haven't been exposed for over a month now. We've been leashing the puppy outside for training around the birds. They've been exposed to the old dog the entire time, but he's blind. He would chase them every so often, the chickens would simply crouch down and he would try to hump them, lol. They didn't have problems laying eggs during that behavior.

Thanks again!

I too got a new mostly Boston terrier pup in July. She occasionally chases my chickens. My chickens are used to it so it doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Over this past summer we did get a few bags of feed that were off from fleet farm. I see now the mill dates are on all bag in big letters, so I hope they addressed the problem.

Is it possible your young girls have a hidden nest somewhere. Sometimes pullets come up with the crazy idea of laying somewhere else.

I have checked for other laying spots. They don't get out often now that the days are so short. I'll only let them out if it's light out, and I'm home, which unfortunately only happens on the weekends, and rarely an hour or so on a couple week nights.

Their house is a 12'x12' fenced in area with a hard concrete floor, with a coop inside that area for them to perch at night and a couple boxes for laying. Not too many places to hide.

I never made it to the co-op the other day, since they have short hours of operation. Open while I'm at work. I'm planning to get there at lunch tomorrow and discuss with them and buy better food.

The initial crumbles was in the back of a truck for a night, so I thought it was wet from rain. The green spots were tough to see, but near the damp spots in the food. I might switch to pellets now that it's damp out so often.

This is my first experience with molting birds. I really didn't expect them all to quit laying. I hope to fix this before Christmas cookie baking season!

Their house is a 12'x12' fenced in area with a hard concrete floor, with a coop inside that area for them to perch at night and a couple boxes for laying.
How big is the 'coop' part?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Are the pullets roosting in the coop with the big girls?

I hope to fix this before Christmas cookie baking season!
Um, molting birds probably aren't going to cooperate, you might have to go the the store.

About 1.5 months ago, the little ones started laying small, funky shaped eggs, as normal. Then, after only a couple small eggs from them, the older gals started to molt, and all egg production stopped.

I'm wondering if the molting of the older gals is affecting the young ones.

I was worried about the food because I noticed some wet clumps in the bag when I opened it, and some had green spots.
Did you throw out that feed? If you didn't, I would.

Curious what breeds the younger ones are?

Chickens have different degrees of molt. Some birds go through light molts which aren't very noticeable and other birds go through heavier molts which are very noticeable. I switch my birds over to a higher protein feed. The birds feathers are made up of primarily protein so since they need it for their feathers I give them higher protein feed. Many game bird and meat bird feeds are higher in protein and are fine for the chickens. I do have night lights in all of my coops so there is always a little light on in their coops. Since I switched over to the higher protein game bird feed, I'm getting more eggs.

To answer in order, without a bunch of quotes:
Size of coop? The covered coop is approx 3'x3'x4' tall. It started out as a prefab coop I bought at Fleet Farm, advertised to hold six, but I've increased the footprint about 20% and doubled the height. Four large birds max still.

All perching together? When the young ones were still relatively small, I kept them separated, and then integrated them together. They kept themselves separated for a couple months, but now I've seen them all perched together in the coop without problems.

Christmas cookies?I know I won't get eggs from the molting birds; just hoping the young ones will restart.

Threw out the damp feed? Yes. I tossed the crumbles from Fleet Farm. Replaced with 16% layers pellets from a local co-op.

Breed of young ones? All of my girls are light brahmas, so I was expecting approx the same behaviour from the young ones as I saw in the older ones last year.

Molting requires extra protein: I've read on other threads feeding higher protein during molt. The co-op suggested sticking with the layers pellets. I have backed off popcorn (with low protein but high fiber) and treating with worms more.

Light versus heavy molt:
One of my gals looks horrendous, going through heavy molt. She is the smaller of the old birds. The biggest one doesn't appear to be molting at all, and if so, very very light molt.

I'll get photos of coop and setup, but probably not until tomorrow night since I work late Wednesdays and won't be home until after dark.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom