Molting in the spring

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I was under the impression that ALL molting was done in the late fall. Our head hen Chanelle is a barred rock who is 18 months old and did not molt in the fall. Today while I was setting on the deck watching the 8 bird flock Chanelle moved in a way while preening that showed a big patch of pink/red skin. I will try and catch her to see if it is an injury or something else...any thoughts on this? Our girls free range from 4 PM until sundown...catching her will prove to be a challenge..

My chickens molt twice a year (autumn and spring). They have their ‘summer’ feathers and their ‘winter’ feathers. I am a little concerned by the way you explained it that it is an injury. But we will see.

I was under the impression that ALL molting was done in the late fall. Our head hen Chanelle is a barred rock who is 18 months old and did not molt in the fall. Today while I was setting on the deck watching the 8 bird flock Chanelle moved in a way while preening that showed a big patch of pink/red skin. I will try and catch her to see if it is an injury or something else...any thoughts on this? Our girls free range from 4 PM until sundown...catching her will prove to be a challenge..
Well, not exactly. Most of the time, it happens in the Fall, but not always. And there's a lot to be said about a long, soft molt which can takes several months to run its course. And broody hens can molt after the babies hatch. And a sick chicken can molt after they recover & get to feeling better. As for catching her, everybody's coops/setups are different, but it's much easier to take a chicken from the roost in the evening or early morning, and everybody - including the rooster - remain much calmer for it. You didn't mention where this patch was - any chance it's a broody patch?

Without being gross or...its either side of her vent/butt, she is my favorite girl and can be coaxed within grabbing range. I had my better half give the flock crickets and I was able to pick her up...not an injury and really looking like a molt...I like the term soft molt and that's exactly how I would describe it. We have committed to one another about how shaggy and unkempt she has been looking. You have made us happy that there is a spring molt also. Thank you for your AWESOME advice...I can sleep well tonight. We had 1 of the silver laced Wyandottes (hard) molt in December and she was a sad sight but now is more beautiful than ever.

Our head hen Chanelle is a barred rock who is 18 months old and did not molt in the fall.
Molting now is weird but if she didn't molt in the fall...<shrugs>
Did you use supplemental lighting over the winter?

My chickens molt twice a year (autumn and spring). They have their ‘summer’ feathers and their ‘winter’ feathers.
Ummm, don't think this is true for birds.
Have never heard of 2 molts a year as standard for chickens.
Tho a drastic change of lighting, an injury or trauma can trigger a molt.
Broodies often molt after hatching, no matter the time of year.

Ummm, don't think this is true for birds.
Have never heard of 2 molts a year as standard for chickens.
Tho a drastic change of lighting, an injury or trauma can trigger a molt.
Broodies often molt after hatching, no matter the time of year.
That explains then. My chickens hatched over spring last year and the year before, then moulted. Thank you, sometimes I’m just really stupid.

Back
Top Bottom