molting in winter?

jesskoot

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Central VA
My Barred Rock has experienced a serious molt over the past three days - the feathers literally fall off as I watch her. She looked fine last weekend. This doesn't seem right since it's December, the temps are in the 20s and snow is expected this weekend. What should I do to help her recover quickly and stay warm? She is one in a flock of eight mixed hens. Any advice is welcomed!

Increase her protein intake (BOSS, meal worms, yogurt, limited amounts of cat food, meat scraps from the dinner table) and get her a coat. There are patterns on here for no-sew chicken saddles using fleece. I can attest to their usefulness. I am making 3 new ones for some hens for Christmas.

Good luck.

That's not uncommon, I've seen numerous posts around here lately with people saying their chickens are molting at this time. Protein is the most important thing to have a successful molt and all the things that CMV said are a great way to make her get through it well. And cracked corn helps chickens produce heat in winter so that could also help to keep her warm.

Thanks for answering - she already gets BOSS, meal worms and yogurt daily; I will try to isolate her for feeding to make sure she gets her share of the good stuff. Not sure about the chicken coat but an willing to have a look......

Quote:
Just keep in my you may let her back in the a block couple hour a day. Otherwise, the pecking order will change and she may be picking by other hens.

I had a BR do this a few weeks ago and just last week my BSL. Quite dramatic, like you said, fine one day, completely bald the next! The BR seemed to take a while to grow her feathers back in, the BSL is already showing good growth. Personally, I don't do anything different. The BR acted totally normal. The BSL is kinda hiding next to the barn, but she comes out to eat and just this am drove the young upstart roo away from the food----I'm thinking she's good.

I've been reading everyone's posts.... I have a barred rock in a hard molt starting a couple days ago, and having a hard time keeping the coat on since she has no wing feathers anymore. Should I bring her inside (crate her) until she gets through this? She's sleeping in the nesting boxes now, and won't roost with the others, so I suspect she won't maintain her pecking order anyway. I'm very worried. She's getting BOSS, and I'm picking up yogurt and meal worms today.

Quote:
I hate separating birds unless it is absolutely necessary because sometimes re-introducing the bird presents challenges- like I had to re-home my best layer because the flock refused to accept her back. You could bring her inside, but I would be inclined to make a smaller coat with smaller wing holes before I did that. Your bird will have to be in the house for about a month to gain any appreciable feather coverage. By the end of that time it will still be pretty frigid outside and she will not be used to it, so you will have to acclimate her to the cold temps while also doing a re-introductions. Sounds like a lot of work. Do what you feel is best for your flock and yourself, but I think I, myself, would find another way.

Good luck.

I really wish I had read many of these suggestions......

I took my molting hen into the house when she started freezing to death, and now I am faced with the flock not accepting her back. Quite a pain, will never do this again if at all avoidable. I am putting her in a smaller coop within the larger run, hoping they get used to her being there thru the fence for awhile. I will then, most likely, have to take the most aggressive hen out of the flock for a few days when I reintroduce her, hoping to knock her down a few levels.

Huge pain!!!! I wish I had known about the jackets.

Back
Top Bottom