Molting?

Old Ben

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
So first off I’m aware that pictures are needed, but I’m not able to get them right now so I’ll just say what I know and post them here later. One of my fully mature hens has started to loose feathers over the past week, quite a bit of feathers. I can tell they’re hers because she is a different color then the rest. So far I’ve found quite a few longer feathers some I believe are flight feathers, normal body feathers and some really small feathers that could be from the head but idk. She’s starting to have a generally ruff appearance, not like she has bald spots. More like she’s ruffled up. I can see some pen feathers coming through on the edges of her wings. The only thing I’m really concerned about is her rear end, I can’t see the skin but the feathers look ruff and I’m not sure why. I’ll try to get a better look at her today, but I got this hen when she was already grown and though she’s sweet, she would probably freak out if I tried to pick her up any time of the day.

Sounds like molting to me. They usually stop laying while molting - is she laying eggs? 3 out of my 4 are molting currently, it's that time of year.

Sounds like molting to me. They usually stop laying while molting - is she laying eggs? 3 out of my 4 are molting currently, it's that time of year.
No she stopped laying almost four weeks ago. She is three years old though, so I imagine she won’t lay again till spring.

Back
Top Bottom