Molting

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
One of my 2 year old hens is starting her molt, and I noticed that one of my pullets is eating her molted feathers! I go through the day and do my best keeping feathers picked up in the enclosed 14x45 run, I obviously can’t be there 24/7 to keep them picked up, should I be concerned about this behavior? Right now my flock, because of molt and because I have laying pullets is eating feather fixer and laying feed mixed free choice , with free choice oyster shells

No worries, them eating feathers just means they need more protein in there diet. So let them eat the feather fixer feed its 18% protein.
No need to pick them up, they'll break down in the run (and yes a few will get eaten). I'll scoop up clumps of feathers from the coop, simply because I want them in the compost bin.
Picking up my feathers is a personal preference, it helps to keep the area tidy.. I was under the impression that feathers can attract parasites and establish feather eating habits.. but hopefully that won’t become an issue

...watching this. Didn't know it was advised to pick up molted feathers.
Picking up the feathers is purely a matter of personal preference, and also how you keep your run. I use deep litter so they just become part of the composting process. If you use sand in your run, that wouldn't break them down, and you may need to clean them out but again it doesn't need to be.

Picking up the feathers is purely a matter of personal preference, and also how you keep your run. I use deep litter so they just become part of the composting process. If you use sand in your run, that wouldn't break them down, and you may need to clean them out but again it doesn't need to be.
In both of my coops I use sand for litter, but in my outside chicken run I use lots of Peat moss and pine bark mulch, both places needs feather pick to look clean

Back
Top Bottom