Mom Hen Attacking Chicks!??!

Why did you separate them from their flock? Now they are new, and need to be gradually introduced back to the flock. have them out there separated by wire, so they can see and be seen, and then after a few days, let them range together, or set up an opening into their safe space that the adults can't enter.
Broody hens vary in the time they want to mother their hatchlings, but separating the babies isn't best, rather let them blend into the flock.
How much space do they have, in square feet/ bird? How many separate feeders and waterers? Hiding places, not blocked off as dead ends?
Any actual injuries?
Mary
The Mom and chicks lived in a nursery away from the flock that's why they are separated.
Our flock lives in a 45' by 45' yard and there is one main feeder, there are not many hiding spots we have a coop and two shelters, very open. Yes, we have had some injuries one of the chicks has 2 pretty good sized pecking wounds on the vent ( caused by mom).

15678703084744431981170114821901.jpg
22974.jpeg
I am curious as to what breed of hen the mother is?
We are thinking blue splash something, we got her at a local farm and have no idea what she is. here is a pic

The Mom and chicks lived in a nursery away from the flock that's why they are separated.
Our flock lives in a 45' by 45' yard and there is one main feeder, there are not many hiding spots we have a coop and two shelters, very open. Yes, we have had some injuries one of the chicks has 2 pretty good sized pecking wounds on the vent ( caused by mom).

When she goes after them, is she still puffing up and clucking?

Hi I had a broody hatch chicks, she was and AMAZING mom at first but she abandoned them at 4 weeks old now they live in a broody in our garage. We take the chicks out about once a day to get them integrated into the flock. All of a sudden the mom now seems to have a crazy drive to attack her chicks!!! We took the chicks out in the big girl yard for the first time ( they have not seen each other for a little over a week) when we set them in the yard the Mom heard there peeps and ran over and started ATTACKING them!! Now she does this every time we take them out and will do ANYTHING to get to those chicks and attack them?! She has this psycho look in her eyes when she sees them. What is wrong with her, she went from an amazing mother, to abandoning them at 4 wks to trying to kill them?!!?
How can I stop this?!?!

4weeks is too soon for the mom to begin acting this way towards her chicks. Mine were abandoned by their mom in the same fashion though it was after 2months. There was really nothing I could do about it coz she even did not let them eat when around them. This was after I put them together with the other flock. Maybe you put them back together too soon. Now you could try separating them see if it works but if it doesn't it's time for the chicks to fly solo

Back
Top Bottom