Momma hens keeps loosing babies, I need advise

Cr8zy4Chicks

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Central Florida
I am new to raising babies outside with a momma hen. I understand everything loves to eat baby chicks. They are 3 weeks old and I figured the moms would be better at keeping them safe. At what age do you let the moms out with the babies? I've lost 4 babies and I'm so frustrated. They are in a 2×4 brooder box so I hate keeping them locked up all day, but as soon as I turn my back once I let them out they always seem to loose a baby.

Am I letting them out to early? Are they ok staying in that small box till they are like 5 weeks.

I already feel horrible loosing these babies and I dont want to loose anymore, but I also dont wanna keep them trapped if it's the moms lack of knowledge on how to keep her babies safe

Do you think they are being taken by a predator ? Young chicks are best raised in a covered pen where they are safe from predators.
Thats what I'm thinking, there is no trace of them and I know when they get separated the babies scream, so after I search the yard and I dont hear a chick screaming I can only assume a hawk or other bird of prey got them.

Back
Top Bottom