Month old chick with possible sour crop?

I suspect one of my chicks has sour crop, for the last few days he has been very quiet and lethargic, his crop is swollen but feels like it is full it is full of water. He is drinking quite normally but haven’t seen him eating. His poop is very runny. When I opened his beak, there was some fluid bubbling up but he doesn’t seem to be choking, although it does sound bubbly when he breathes. Does this sound like sour crop?

I’ve never experienced it myself but have heard about apple cider vinegar, yogurt, and massaging the crop for treatment. Any input or advice on what is best? I hate seeing him like this!
It’s now been a week since his symptoms started showing up, and he is completely back to normal. I fed him yogurt and apple cider vinegar once a day for about 4 days and massages his crop as often as I could. Not sure if that’s what helped or not but he is all good :)

Just an update on our girl Bloom:

She showed signs of Sour Crop so we treated it and it seemed to go away, then the same with a respiratory infection. All the meanwhile she was hunched over with her tail tucked and completely lethargic. Fast forward and we bring her to the vet where he treats her for coccidiosis which she is only kind of showing symptoms of. It seemed to work for about 3 weeks (we had her in the house where she seemed to be healthy for the first time in her life) and then after reintroducing her to the flock, she seemed to go downhill again slowly. This morning (a month and a half after treating her for coccidiosis) I found her in the coop, unfortunately she passed away in her sleep last night :(

Very very heartbroken, but wondering if anyone has any clue of what this was? I won’t be getting an autopsy done but I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar mysterious illness like this?

Just an update on our girl Bloom:

She showed signs of Sour Crop so we treated it and it seemed to go away, then the same with a respiratory infection. All the meanwhile she was hunched over with her tail tucked and completely lethargic. Fast forward and we bring her to the vet where he treats her for coccidiosis which she is only kind of showing symptoms of. It seemed to work for about 3 weeks (we had her in the house where she seemed to be healthy for the first time in her life) and then after reintroducing her to the flock, she seemed to go downhill again slowly. This morning (a month and a half after treating her for coccidiosis) I found her in the coop, unfortunately she passed away in her sleep last night :(

Very very heartbroken, but wondering if anyone has any clue of what this was? I won’t be getting an autopsy done but I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar mysterious illness like this?
I’d like to know if you had any other updates or started a separate thread on your girl, Bloom to get feedback?

I’m sorry to hear she passed.

I’d like to know if you had any other updates or started a separate thread on your girl, Bloom to get feedback?

I’m sorry to hear she passed.
No I don’t have any more threads on her, unfortunately whatever is said in this thread is all the info I have! I’m still hoping for someone with some insight into what may have happened to get in contact with me, I’m still heartbroken over her and definitely want to know what to do if something similar ever happens in my flock again.

Back
Top Bottom