Month old chick with possible sour crop?

LemonyCatapult

Songster
Jul 27, 2018
London, Ontario
I suspect one of my chicks has sour crop, for the last few days he has been very quiet and lethargic, his crop is swollen but feels like it is full it is full of water. He is drinking quite normally but haven’t seen him eating. His poop is very runny. When I opened his beak, there was some fluid bubbling up but he doesn’t seem to be choking, although it does sound bubbly when he breathes. Does this sound like sour crop?

I’ve never experienced it myself but have heard about apple cider vinegar, yogurt, and massaging the crop for treatment. Any input or advice on what is best? I hate seeing him like this!

At that age I would suspect that with runny poops, lethargy, and a puffy crop, he may have coccidiosis. I would get some Corid (amprollium) from the feed store just in case, and start treatment for all chicks. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. Sometimes you may see blood in the poop, but not always. Here is an article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

At that age I would suspect that with runny poops, lethargy, and a puffy crop, he may have coccidiosis. I would get some Corid (amprollium) from the feed store just in case, and start treatment for all chicks. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. Sometimes you may see blood in the poop, but not always. Here is an article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/
I just saw some bloody poop from him for the first time so that is likely it then. Thanks!

Oh I just noticed that you are in Canada. You will need to call your vet in the morning to get amprol, amprollium, the equivalent of Corid, or possibly sulfa antibiotic if they prefer it. Either will treat coccidiosis. Sulfa may be called sulfadimethoxine, bactrim, sulfatrim, SMZ-TMP, or albon. Amprollium can be called coxoid as well as Corid. Those are probably not sold over the counter in your feed stores. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh I just noticed that you are in Canada. You will need to call your vet in the morning to get amprol, amprollium, the equivalent of Corid, or possibly sulfa antibiotic if they prefer it. Either will treat coccidiosis. Sulfa may be called sulfadimethoxine, bactrim, sulfatrim, SMZ-TMP, or albon. Amprollium can be called coxoid as well as Corid. Those are probably not sold over the counter in your feed stores. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I’ve just made an appointment with my vet so I will let everyone know how it goes on Monday. Thanks so very much for your input!

I would not wait to start amprollium, even if you are seeing a vet on Monday. I don’t want to scare you, but if it is coccidiosis, it can get progressively worse in hours. Is there any way to get it before Monday, such as a store that sells cattle medicines and equipment? It is commonly used to treat cattle and pigs. Amprollium is not an antibiotic, so is not harmful if used. Some vets will prescribe sulfa antibiotics instead of Corid (amprollium.) Let us know how the chicken gets along.

I would not wait to start amprollium, even if you are seeing a vet on Monday. I don’t want to scare you, but if it is coccidiosis, it can get progressively worse in hours. Is there any way to get it before Monday, such as a store that sells cattle medicines and equipment? It is commonly used to treat cattle and pigs. Amprollium is not an antibiotic, so is not harmful if used. Some vets will prescribe sulfa antibiotics instead of Corid (amprollium.) Let us know how the chicken gets along.
Thanks for the info! All of his symptoms have actually cleared up completely over night! His crop is emptying as normal and he is full of life again! I was giving him some yogurt and putting apple cider vinegar is his water, not sure if that helped or if he got over whatever it was on his own but he seems to be completely healthy :) I appreciate your advice!!

Back
Top Bottom