MONTHLY Swap meet JACKSONVILLE, FLA-----INFO HERE!

I made a new thread for this to make sure it gets attention, but I wanted to post it here too in case people don't see it.

I went into Bent Creek yesterday and because I'm the one who initiated the first swap I kind of got an earful and need to make you guys aware of some issues.

First and foremost, the owners of Bent Creek are NOT charging anyone to set up. Please show them some respect.

The owner said he had several people complain about there being only one bathroom, or the bathroom being dirty or that he should have a porta potty outside. The owners DO NOT charge anyone to buy or sell, remember this. If you don't like the bathroom, DON'T USE IT. They only have a packed house ONE DAY A MONTH, they are NOT building another bathroom. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself.

They are NOT typically open on Sundays and only open the last Sunday of the month to allow for the swaps and also in hopes of making a couple of sales (they are a small FAMILY run business.)

Please do NOT:
1-Be rude or say harsh things to the owners.
2-If you don't like the bathrooms, HOLD IT. Their bathroom was meant for their family and they are being nice enough to let you use it, they could say no. If the toilet paper is out, that's fine ask. But otherwise, be polite.

And, please, as a common courtesy...
3-Clean up after yourself, put trash in the garbage.
4-BUY from them, they are supporting you, help support them!

Also, someone apparently told the owner he needed to rent a porta potty. If he has to do that, guess who will be paying for it? YOU!

The family who owns Bent Creek is a nice family, please treat them with respect. The father seemed rather upset, to the point where he was so offended that the swap meets may stop if people can't be nice and understanding.

I am hoping that the people who offended him are NOT BYC members. So this Sunday, please talk to your fellow swap members and remind them that this family is nice enough to do this for them, be nice back, otherwise the swap meets at Bent Creek may end.

Please, don't shoot the messenger - - - but - - - -

There are a lot of people who attend those swaps who are not BYC. The swaps are advertised on Craigslist and get advertisement by word of mouth. . .

It would be nice if the venders that are BYC wore name tags. That would help us identify each other.
Furthermore, it would help the owners of Bent Creek know that it wasn't one of us. . . .

Personally, I feel better buying from fellow BYC than just a total stranger at the swaps.

I am thankful that Bent Creek opens their doors to us on Sundays. . . .
I was able to buy feed and other supplies that I would of had to waited til Monday to purchase otherwise.

Shared Acres - - -

Is it possible that we could have an on site representative that the owners could come to immediately to report any misconduct ? ? ?

That way we (BYC) could handle the issue right away - - -

Is Bent Creek experiencing a large issue with people or just a couple of people ? ?

We have only been to Bent Creek a handful of times, and the family has never been anything but pleasant and courteous. We too have purchased items there knowing that the store will be open while we are there. Hopefully there will be no future issues as we enjoy going and are truely grateful for the use of their lot to sell our chickens.

I can't make it this Sunday but usually I have name badges available to any BYC member who wants one.

Last edited:
Let's go one step further. If you are a BYC member, make it a point to speak to the owners and thank them personally for what they are doing. One sincere compliment can erase many ignorant words.

That is a shame they had problems with people. There are a lot of people coming and going... sellers and buyers. I didn't even know they had a bathroom... hehe. I think someone asking for a port-a- potty is ridiculous... the nerve of some people. If someone suggests it again I'd say, OK .....thank you for offering to rent one for us, LOL.

We are lucky that they let us use their parking lot to offer our birds, etc. I always try to buy something from the store when I go. Makes it worthwhile for them also.
smile.png

I'll bring some name tags so we can put "BYC" and our BYC name on them. Makes it better anyway so we can meet new members we haven't met before also. Hopefully it won't be hot and sunny as heck all week and then rain on Sunday. I have 3 grandkids that are coming this time..one hears the other one went and then they all want to go!!! LOL I'll have to start renting a bus if all 8 want to go!!!

Look at my earlier post to see what I am bringing. If you know of someone that wants RIR hens or BCM pullets, please let them know. I have to make room for hubby's quail flight pen. The RIR's are good layers and the BCM's should be laying at any time. I have to roos to go with them also.

Will also have silkies of course. Will try to make pairs or trios, because I have some good boys, just too many. Will also have splash, blue and some white silkies 6-8 weeks old.

Edited to add that I will have some hatching eggs also...different breeds

Vickie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom