more Bumblefoot in the flock

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
our other female pekin has a case of Bumblefoot, I am not in question about this one, ill get a picture later, she was not limping, or showing any signs at all of an issue but I got her caught and examined her feet , as well as our drakes, and she has a great big bumble in the pad on her right foot. I will start with the epsom/iodine soak today and I did get the duck booties, this is going to be a tough one because she isn't acting like an issue so she isn't going to take kindly to being isolated, but here we go, they have a large grassy area they live in, their coop is clean and dry with wood shavings as bedding, I clean it regularly and refresh it frequently, where are we going wrong? I have not attempted to catch the runners and examine but as they are small and light I suspect less chance of issue? any thoughts as to prevention? everything I read in terms of preventing involves keeping things clean and not having sharp pointy stuff everywhere I feel like we are already doing that.They meander at their leisure, have ample swimming opportunity which gets water changed at least every other day, and their drinking water is fresh and clean always. they are on nutrina flock raiser (or all flock or whatever) seems like were having a lot of issues with feet and legs, our other female is still sluggish and limping, though her Bumblefoot has cleared up. any suggestions would be appreciated.

You shouldn't need to isolate her, once the surgery is complete, pack it with triple antibiotic (the kind without pain killer in it, has the consistency of vaseline) place some teflon-gauze over the wound and make a bootie with sport's wrap tape (the kind that sticks to itself very well, but won't stick to the skin, available at any sporting goods store for much less than you'll find it at your feed store.) Choose just about any color of sports tape except red for the job, and turn her back out with the flock. The sports tape won't be affected by swimming, but the gauze will get wet. Change the 'boot' daily and inspect the progress of her healing.

Agreed. Turn her out. She'll be happier. Sorry you're having a tough time. Seems like some birds are more prone to it than others. Once it happens it is also likely to happen again. Hang in there!

I had been planning to treat as I had the other one with a soak, ointment, wrap and repeat until the bumble would come out, as in no surgery, not sure I am ready for cutting just yet. I’ll have to do some YouTubing

So here is the bumble, I did my soak in epsom and iodine and the ointment with a bootie.
88C9D5C5-C7FC-458D-94A0-D03A28FDC395.jpeg

So I think this one really does need surgery, my MIL, the Dr has agreed to do the slicing. This one is the most difficult of the flock and is aptly named Squabbles. She slipped her neoprene shoe tonight. Don’t know how but she did. I put more bacitracin on it and wrapped it up in the boot. Plan to slice tomorrow, hopefully the skin will be softened up some by then.
Note my 2 medical assistants, ever so helpful.
501FFB4B-F334-4A72-9C0B-71574BC3377B.jpeg
EC90B8E1-47FF-44B8-88D4-56D1B18E348E.jpeg
2F603C34-BFBD-463D-8C83-939239E0B908.jpeg
A3175E91-8C7D-44A8-BE2D-3E11998C657F.jpeg

Imagine the core of Bumblefoot like gold, you just have ever, but slowly keep working/mining at it. Surgery, can be more painful, and more stressful to the bird, if you just keep letting the core soak in the ointment for a few days longer, it'll get more loosened up, and you can keep working at it until you get all of it out. It should peal of kind of like a scab.

Imagine the core of Bumblefoot like gold, you just have ever, but slowly keep working/mining at it. Surgery, can be more painful, and more stressful to the bird, if you just keep letting the core soak in the ointment for a few days longer, it'll get more loosened up, and you can keep working at it until you get all of it out. It should peal of kind of like a scab.
You think just keep soaking? She is the least cooperative bird we have, she’s big and she’s strong and she fights. I’ll give it a whirl, is the bumble actually attached in there? Or is it just sort of encapsulated and needs digging out? I had envisioned it like a wart or a sebatious (Sp?) cyst where it’s actually grown in. You make it sound more like an onion in the ground, just the tip of the iceberg and can be removed ship in a bottle style?

If she were mine, I’d go ahead and try gently removing it with a pair of tweezers and a scalpel, but if it doesn’t peel off very well, yes I would keep soaking until it peels off easier, that way you’re being less invasive about the whole processes. It’s almost like a wart, yes.

Back
Top Bottom