More Pigeon Loft Questions

MadisonOde

Songster
Jul 16, 2017
La Crosse, WI
Hey all,
I’ve been thinking over pigeons a lot, and was thinking about fencing off part of my chicken run and putting pigeons in there. Questions: The roof and everything will be fenced in. How big of a loft will I need if they have a lot of that space? Attached is a photo of pigeon nest boxes (?) that I found, would I be able to put something like that instead of a full loft in? I’m thinking not, but just making sure. There will be no roof on top of the run, just fencing. Attached is a photo of my chicken coop and run now and the nesting boxes I found.

Attachments

• D7F1C68D-401A-456F-9FCA-BB5903E7EBE9.jpeg
    D7F1C68D-401A-456F-9FCA-BB5903E7EBE9.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FE22DC5C-44A6-42D1-9601-4F95EB647015.jpeg
    FE22DC5C-44A6-42D1-9601-4F95EB647015.jpeg
    821.6 KB · Views: 12
Hey all,
I’ve been thinking over pigeons a lot, and was thinking about fencing off part of my chicken run and putting pigeons in there. Questions: The roof and everything will be fenced in. How big of a loft will I need if they have a lot of that space? Attached is a photo of pigeon nest boxes (?) that I found, would I be able to put something like that instead of a full loft in? I’m thinking not, but just making sure. There will be no roof on top of the run, just fencing. Attached is a photo of my chicken coop and run now and the nesting boxes I found.
Hi there! The answer is yes, with the boxes and an avairy, they would do just fine! If you wanted, I would do one solid wall on the run they will have (preferably the wall facing north) to add perches and the boxes on.

Only thing about the boxes is,, they don't look like you can access and clean inside them well. so be careful there. Other than that, it looks like your well on your way to getting pigeons!

Feel free to join in on https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-talk.1276029/where many of the pigeon fanciers on here chat!

Hi there! The answer is yes, with the boxes and an avairy, they would do just fine! If you wanted, I would do one solid wall on the run they will have (preferably the wall facing north) to add perches and the boxes on.

Only thing about the boxes is,, they don't look like you can access and clean inside them well. so be careful there. Other than that, it looks like your well on your way to getting pigeons!

Feel free to join in on https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-talk.1276029/where many of the pigeon fanciers on here chat!
I did just realize that I live in Wisconsin and it gets freezing, would it just be better to build a small coop? More of a small box/shelter?

I did just realize that I live in Wisconsin and it gets freezing, would it just be better to build a small coop? More of a small box/shelter?
the boxes would provide the small shelter,but if you have the space, that could be helpful.

Pigeons can go down to -50 degrees, provided there are no drafts. That's why I said to do another wall.

Also, are you able to put different breeds together like chickens, or is that not a thing?
yes you can. But they will crossbreed... If having mixed pigeons doesn't bother you, you can have mixed breeds.

As long as the shelther (loft) itself has a roof they should go inside it during inclement weather and the whole area shouldn't need to be covered.
Having learned the hard way with putting next boxes in too small of a loft is that it works significantly better if the living space is on the smaller side to have the nest boxes separate. Pairs can get quite aggressive to other pigeons when defending a nest box. You could even use something like a rabbit hutch within the pen for a nest box.

Hey all,
You are describing a type of pigeon housing known as a 'dovecote'. Very successfully used throughout the long history of pigeon keeping.

Some examples from Pinterest...
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/332633122453909199

More amazing artistic and historic pigeon housing...
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/470626229790116892/?d=t&mt=login

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom