More than one a day

Ducky be good

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Hi all
All the input I have read suggests that a chicken can only lay one egg per day!
I have just had 6 eggs from 5 hens, no visitors. All eggs were removed early in the morning and by afternoon there were 6.
Any comments please

It is true that common knowledge is that hens only lay one egg a day, and most do. However, you are not the only one to have had a hen lay more than one egg. I've read about it on the BYC forums, but never experienced it with my hens (yet). I assume that for two eggs to be laid, two yolks would have to be released at the same time from the ovary. But instead of simply forming a double yolker (which usually happens in cases like that), the yolks somehow got formed into individual eggs. Certainly an interesting occurrence!

Hi all
All the input I have read suggests that a chicken can only lay one egg per day!
I have just had 6 eggs from 5 hens, no visitors. All eggs were removed early in the morning and by afternoon there were 6.
Any comments please
Occasionally, a bird will lay two eggs in one day. It doesn't happen often (in fact, is often due to a reproductive system "glitch"). What breeds are your birds?

Another possible cause is that there might have been an egg buried in the nest box bedding from a previous day. I've had that happen to me before.

Thanks for that the both of you
My chickens are Boschvelders. A South African breed created by cross breeding 3 indigenous species. They are Africa hardy and good layers, I am told. I have only had mine since March and they only started laying mid June, mid Winter for us. So far laying well for beginners.

Back
Top Bottom