Mosquito control?

ChickenRelatedUserName

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2018
Colorado (5b)
My neighbors and I have been talking about how bad the mosquitos have been so far this year. It took me a while to realize that I've been leaving standing water all over my yard for my two Pekins. Our other neighbor has two large fish ponds, and the mosquitos haven't been as bad in previous years so I didn't think anything about the water in my yard initially. I realized that his pond has constantly moving water and is full of fish and frogs that can eat the mosquitos.

Now I've been dumping all water at the end of each day and only have one container large enough for them to clean their nares. What does everyone with ducks do to control mosquitos with all the water that ducks like?

Before I forget, I have a PVC pipe with more water nipples than birds in my mixed flock, and both the chickens and ducks know how to use it. This makes it easier for to fill their water when I get around to it on days where I'm more busy.

Last edited:
Good start in reducing breeding habitat. Maybe a small fountain pump in the water to help circulation. I had fair results with a bug zapper that uses octenol lure pads. I can't claim it was the Holy Grail but there were dead skeeters under it every morning.

Ducks will often eat mosquito larva and pupae, bot not always. Individual ducks will often eat different things.

Dumping out standing water is good. Just make sure your ducks have the water they need. Be aware that it may not be water on your property where the mosquitoes are breeding. Depending on the type of mosquito, they may lay eggs in very small puddles or even discarded soda cups along the side of the road. Mosquitoes in your area may travel up to 7 miles from their breeding site.

Depending on the type of mosquito, it takes 10 to 14 days for them to develop into adults in standing water. The CDC recommends that once a week you empty containers of water and then either scrub, turn over, cover, or throw them out. Mosquito eggs stick to containers like glue and usually have to be scrubbed off. Mosquito eggs can survive when they dry out for up to 8 months. Mosquito larva and pupae tend to die within a few days if removed from water.

If you are comfortable with using an insecticide, I would suggest using Permethrin to treat the area. Permethrin is typically used for treating and preventing outbreaks of mosquitoes and other insects in areas with livestock. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. You may need to be careful where you use it as Permethrin is a broad spectrum insecticide so it will kill everything from bees to lice. It is considered safe for most animals and is generally safe for birds, but can be deadly to cats and is highly toxic to fish and aquatic species (so keep it away from the neighbor's pond).

It can be sprayed on clothes, structures, netting, and just about anything mosquitoes or other pests will come into contact with. You can find it as a concentrated liquid or ready to use spray at most farm supply stores or on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Perm...d=1527961917&sr=8-5&keywords=permethrins&th=1

Thanks everyone for the info. The last few days, after I started dumping the water, have really felt better being outside. It's likely just a coincidence though since I've only started dumping the water about three days ago. I'll take any wins I can get though.

I'd probably lean more toward a bug zapper than I would treating with a spray. My little brother used to study mosquitoes and spray for them, so I'd be able to get some knowledgeable guidance, but I don't think I'd want to take that step at this time. If it got much worse though, I'd probably change my tune.

Not sure where you’re from but New England is being hit hard by a horrible, buggy spring. Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes running amuck. We had a weird, dippy winter and a wet spring so I think it’s probably just the way life is. I can barely even go back by my duck run nearing dusk or I get eaten alive.

No real help here - just agreement that it’s likely not you and if you do *reasonable* water changing it should be enough.

Not sure where you’re from but New England is being hit hard by a horrible, buggy spring. Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes running amuck. We had a weird, dippy winter and a wet spring so I think it’s probably just the way life is. I can barely even go back by my duck run nearing dusk or I get eaten alive.

No real help here - just agreement that it’s likely not you and if you do *reasonable* water changing it should be enough.

Same here in VA - horrible wet Spring with lots of bugs - my legs look like I have the measles! :barnie I need more ducks to eat all the critters!!!

Look up " mosquito athority near me". They come to your house and spray, and it really does work well. I used to not be able to relax outdoors because of the bugs, but after they sprayed, I haven't been bitten once. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom