Mosquito Control ??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kitty Cat, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    What is the best way to control mosquitoes, other than clean water!

I live out in the woods near four or five smallish ponds, not to mention all the unseen puddles in the woods, and a small creek that's typically stagnant 90% of the time.
    I've been having a lot of trouble with my chickens getting diseases and upon further examination and research I believe it is the massive population of mosquitoes in our area causing the problems.
    I'm not spending $200+ on a mosquito trap that may or may not work.

I've heard of citronella, however upon researching it I've found that citronella plants sold for the purpose of mosquito repellant are a fraud, the cross breeding and such has killed any repellant properties the plant has.

I know Mint Oil repels fleas on animals, and helps control inside population. I've never heard of it being used as a mosquito repellant though.

The mint plant has many pesticide properties to it, but I'm not sure that applies for mosquitoes.

Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Aren't there some varieties of fish that eat mosquito larvae? Could you stock your ponds with fish that eat the larvae, which will in return reduce the population?

3. tjedd

tjedd New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    I understand frogs and bats are good at Mosquito control also.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Mosquito fish hands down. These guys eat so much larvae and eggs. They can defiantly help control the population.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Also you can buy dragonfly nymphs. They eat the larvae while they're young and when they're adults they'll eat a lot of the adults.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Stock mosquito-eating fish - The most common and effective naturalistic control of mosquitoes is offered by mosquito-eating fish. Mosquito Fish Mosquito fish, for example, can eat 100 to 500 mosquito larvae per day. They play an important role in mosquito control in ponds, canals, irrigated fields and some other freshwater sources. Small backyard ponds can be stocked with Koi, Sarasa Comets, or Shubunkins. Check with your fish & game department regarding local regulations before stocking.

from http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=253

Some
    states, like AZ, are even doing this to pools of foreclosed homes!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I live in NH where the bugs are outrageous. They have a short window of time in which to have their life, so they make the most of it. I have a multi-tiered approach to dealing with them.

1. I have 2 propane mosquito eaters. I love these things. They have made such a difference. I keep my eye on Craigslist to pick them up for less than they go for in the stores. I cannot rave enough about these machines. They have made living here tolerable.
    2. I have stocked all the bodies of water around with fish. I even stocked all my neighbors' ponds (with their permission).
    3. I built bat houses and placed them randomly around my property. I also have a cave filled with bats on my property.
    4. Any body of water too small to have fish gets Mosquito Dunks which is a product that prevents mosquitoes from becoming female. This product has no effect on anything other than mosquitoes, so is safe to use in areas where there are fish, reptiles, amphibians and poultry.
    5. I encourage wild birds to nest near my house by having various types of housing available to them.

I can now be comfortable during bug season while in my yard. If I leave my yard- that's a different story. A quarter mile down the road is just as intolerable as ever, but I can garden in relative peace.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

8. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Quote:We already have bats, fish, and purple martins among many other types of wild birds. The propane mosquito eaters are a little too much for my budget. I have thought about the mosquito dunks but didn't know if it would hurt the fish. I think I will invest in some of those! I have also thought of stocking our pond with Koi, for several reasons, but their mosquito diet has definitely upped my desire to have them. I have brim, bass, and catfish in my pond, as well as the neighbors pond.

9. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I built and put up a bat house....now have 200+ bats patrolling my farm. I don't have much of a mosquito problem now.

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have mosquitofish in my pond and they do a great job controlling the mosquitoes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by