MOST ACCURATE HYGROMETER?

Scratchn By

Songster
11 Years
Nov 7, 2008
East Texas
Alright! I'm tired of reading about humidity.

Does anyone have a hygrometer that they really really trust for accuracy?

If so, which one. And where did you get it?

Thank! (fellow bator gazers!
tongue.png
)

Quote:
I trust the one that was calibrated
smile.png

I have an Amprobe, which I use to check cheaper digital Hygrometers.

The $6 Sprinfield, available in Walmart and on eBay generally works well. Buy two
smile.png

I have a $7 Springfield from Walmart and a $27 Bemis. The temp is always within .3 degrees of each other and the humidity differs about 2-3%. I tested the Bemis's humidity accuracy, and it was right on the money. I usually have both in the bator at the same time to monitor differences. I would trust either if something happened to one of them. One thing to keep an eye on is the battery. Accuracy can be effected by a weak battery.

I've only ever used the salt test and wrapping in a damp rag. Be careful it's not too damp. You may damage your meter. With the salt test your meter should read 75% after about 8 hours. I double bag the salt and meter together. With the rag you should read >95% almost immediately.

Does anyone have a different method, that they like better?

I was also told the salt test would not work or was not accurate on digis. But, some others said it is.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
1. You can calibrate a hydrometer by mixing in a bowl 1/2 cup of salt in 1/4 cup water. Actually a couple TBSP of salt moistened with water is enough.
2.Place bowl inside a zip lock baggie with your hydrometer. After at least 8 hours, your hygrometer should read 75%.
3. If it says, for example 80% you know that it is reading 5% to high and then you can make adjustments in your readings

Back
Top Bottom