Most aware/best free range breed?

Dani & Mikey

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
Hartwood, Virginia
We free range during the day. There have been a few incidents with predators in which I have found that my Easter Eggers have proven to be the most aware, and the fastest. My question is does anyone have other favorite breeds that are sharp, quick, and on point while out in the yard?

most heritage breeds are good in this respect. Anything described as 'flighty' is alert and quick off the mark, and sometimes can fly into trees to escape predators too. I am a fan of Swedish Flower Hens, whose survival skills are well honed through natural selection rather than breeder fancy.

We free range during the day. There have been a few incidents with predators in which I have found that my Easter Eggers have proven to be the most aware, and the fastest. My question is does anyone have other favorite breeds that are sharp, quick, and on point while out in the yard?

My EE's are also adept at Free Ranging and always jump the fence and range in a small pack. Along with them are always my Appenzellers.

Most of my "heritage breeds" seem a bit large / slower / oblivious in the open field and I worry about them.

Fayoumis, Leghorns (Brown if you don't want the white to attract predators), and Andalusians are a few others that range well and stay alert.

Someone mentioned the Swedish flower hens, which are great. Our Cream Legbars regularly hop the fence to range as well and stay safe.

FWIW, our goofy looking Legbar/Marans olive egger is remarkably vigilant like your EEs so maybe the hybrids often do well.

Back
Top Bottom