Most disgusting coop ever!

I fully concur "elmo". My birds are very sweet and friendly and it's got to be because they are treated well and kept in great conditions. I had a woman chicken sit for me and she said she couldn't believe how funny and cute the "ladies" were. I believe it's a little bit of nature and whole lot of nurture when it comes to having pets/animals be nice.

Quote:
Any creature kept in confinement and forced to live in its own built up poo is going to be dirty and nasty and mean. It might do this person a world of good if you invited her over to see your chicken set up after you get up and running, so she can see that there are better chicken management practices than the ones she practices.

Dang!!!
th.gif
I clean my coop every 2 days!!!!

With a very dry year we had, I only cleaned it out once during the spring and summer. Winter and fall, more often, at least once a month depending how the rain is coming in.

With my manure in the coop, it was so dry, it was like oversized popcorn and I just shoved it under the perch and lime it down whether they need it or not.

Got a lady from hubby's work wanting some chicken manure!
ya.gif

Very few wild animals will live anywhere near their own poop, and fowl certainly aren't in that category. Offer to take hers when you build your own coop. That much ammonia is just horrible for their lungs, not to mention the bacteria being harbored in all that feces. Yuck! If people can't care for animals in a healthy, safe way, or give them room to get away from their feces, they should re-home them.

I clean mine a little bit everytime I go in there unless I'm in a hurry. Its not the cleanest coop but its not gross either. I have fly issues I need to deal with thats the only issue. Poor birds
sad.png
you should report her to animal control.

Sheesh. I scoop the poops in the run every morning, and toss the shavings (which are deep) in their house at the same time so there aren't any big clumps of stuff. When it gets so there's a little smell I change out the shavings. Last time was around April, and I think I'm due for another change. It's so dry here there's been hardly any noticeable odor and the flies are under control. I can't imagine letting it get to the point where anyone would think it's a health hazard - after all I have to live with it too. Poor chickens. I agree with previous poster - when you've got your own coop built, try a little "Say, you're way too busy to take care of these nasty things. Let me help you out by taking them off your hands." Best wishes to you and the ghetto chicks.

I would suggest that you offer to help clean out their coop, in a diplomatic way of course.

The friends will not hate you.

Hubby will think you are a heck of a woman.

The birds will be better off.

You will have free fertilizer.

No authorities will be involved.

And it will easier to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom