Most Wonderful Hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Firearia, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, a lot of people have threads for the most handsome rooster, loveliest cockerel etc... But do the hens get that much attention on these threads? [​IMG] So let's post our most beautiful, cute, lovliest pattern... Any hen you find wonderful should fit in right here.

Unfortunately, all my little peeps are still in the brooder, they're two days old so I can't show them off here yet. But I love looking at all the wonderful hens, they amaze me! [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Here! Here! I second the motion!

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

here is my sweet buff orpington hen with her two suitors. she obviously had her favorite....lol. She was a lap hen and very very docile, but the top hen in her little flock of three. Usually I hear that buff orps are in the bottom of the pecking order.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

OMG, I LOVE that photograph! I'm partial to BOs, too. But they look so gorgeous (and happy) on that tarp! Great expressions. Thanks so much for sharing.

5. Firearia

Those are lovely tdgill! I love the colouration on your buff orpingtons!

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you for the compliments! I do love my chickens!

7. Firearia

lol I love your chickens too! xD

8. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a picture of my all time number one girl Gimpy. Sadly, her life was cut short by an evil neighborhood dog. [​IMG] She was quite possibly the most lovely BO the world has ever known, both in appearance and in attitude. I still miss her to this day. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's her twin sister, FussyButt, who today is my lead hen:

[​IMG]

Here's Lacy, one of the most comical Red Sex Links you could have ever met. Sadly, taken before her time by the same murderous dog. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two hooligans were April and JuneBug. They've gone on to a good new home this past spring along with their beloved rooster, Griffin. I hatched out 18 new chicks this spring and it was time for Griffin to go down the road a piece. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These three little darlings are/were Rachel, Rosie and LizzyBeth. Rachel and LizzyBeth were both taken from me by a hawk, just doing what comes natural to hawks. We still have Rosie. Boy! Is she ever a little pill! So much for BR's being all sweet and friendly! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my biggest girl, Brewenna. To the best of my knowledge, she's a light brahma, but of pet quality only. And she is BIG! Tipping the scales at just shy of 9 pounds! [​IMG] Next to her is JuneBug

[​IMG]

That's all of the really good pictures of my big girls. I'll submit some of the 13 pullets I hatched out earlier this spring when they reach laying age. Because, you did ask for HENS after all! [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This is my hen Gertie, the walking incubator. She will hatch just about any egg you put under her, though I haven't tried quail yet [​IMG] As far as I can tell, she is a cross between a silkie and a birchen OEG.
    [​IMG]
    This is Nugget, the first chick ever hatched here from my birds. Sadly, poor Nugget lost her mama and all her siblings to a predator on the night Nugget hatched; luckily we found her on the floor of the chicken coop. Nugget is a blue OEGB.
    [​IMG]
    This was Emma, my absolute favorite hen! I lost her a year or so ago, not really sure what happened there [​IMG] She is still missed. Emma was a bantam EE.
    [​IMG]
    And this is Xiang Jiao, my little surrogate [​IMG] Only 4 of the chicks in the picture were hatched by her, but she raised a total of 18 chicks at once that year. This year she sat and hatched 9 of 9 eggs, and adopted 3 or 4 other chicks. [​IMG] I know I've got a better pic of her, but apparently it's not on my photobucket [​IMG] Xiang Jiao (banana in chinese....loooong story!) is a splash OEGB.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:So sorry about Emma! She is adorable!
    You have some great broodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by