Mother given birth to 3 chicks

benjicken

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
hey there, one of my females has been very broody for a month and finally yesterday 3 chicks were hatched. I separated the mother and chicks from the other quails immediately but I just wanted opinions on whether leaving the chicks with the mother is a safe thing to do? She is constntly sitting on top of them and until she doesn’t, I’m assuming I’m ok to leave them out with her? Also any tips on what to leave with her would be great e.g more nesting material

Thanks

Wow congratulations. I'd remove the babies since you can control things in a brooder and there's a lot that can go wrong leaving them with the mother.

I think you forgot the pics!:)

Leave them with the mom. The poor thing sat on those eggs so long, and then they suddenly get taken away once they hatch. don't do that. If you have a good mom, and they are separated from the other quail, all should be fine. Good luck!

Leave them with the mom. The poor thing sat on those eggs so long, and then they suddenly get taken away once they hatch. don't do that. If you have a good mom, and they are separated from the other quail, all should be fine. Good luck!

Yah I would also let mom have the babies unless she wasn’t hurting them, if she’s sitting on them she’s keeping them warm I would assume since we keep a brooder on chicks at 95-100, and lower the temp as they age, plus I would think if they are too hot they will move just like in the brooder. Hard to keep a baby chick still if it doesn’t want to be lol

My California chicks are like toads on crack I swear it’s like watching jumping beans.... and boy they are FAST.

I'd also give the broody a chance to raise them on her own. If you haven't already, make sure there's water that's safe and reachable for the chicks and food small enough for them to eat. Let mom do the rest. Just keep an eye on them and be prepared to separate if needed. Broody moms can be assume so enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom