Mountain Lion in the Neighborhood

The cougar population in the west has seen a significant increase in recent years because of restrictions on hunting. They are not protected as such. Cougars were almost entirely hunted using dogs. They are very wiley and rarely seen. Dog hunting has been banned making it nearly impossible to hunt them. Now they are moving into areas where they've never been before.
These big cats are extremely territorial. Breeding has only increased since restrictions on hunting have been put in place. Therefore when a cat has a litter, they grow up and have to stake their own NEW territory. Which is becoming more and more, peoples back yards. In some areas like eastern Oregon they have had to hire "professional" hunters with special permits to use hounds because they are killing a lot of livestock and attacking people. I have family in Eastern Washington (on the Oregon border) that have seen cougars right in town.

We had one running around campus back when I was in school and a security gaurd. They told us not to tell the students and worry them because it was unlikely it would come onto the main campus area with all the bright lights and noise. I think a big barking dog and bright lights might help. I think it's legal to kill them if you see them harming your livestock and showing proof of it when you report it. My uncle got permission to kill one that was in his backyard in Montana as he had small children so maybe that might help also if you call and say you have children they might say you can kill it.

Just curious, where in Texas are you? Hope it's not in my neighborhood too. I live close to San Antonio. :|

Quote:
Wht as she been killing?

She attacked a neighbors horse but didn't kill it. She did however kill the goat - all they found was some hair and a big pool of blood. Although not confirmed it is believed she has at least 1 cub (I think there were an extra set of smaller tracks).

Quote:
I am north of you about halfway between Ft Worth and Waco

Quote:
Legal or not, I will shoot anything that threatens my family or my livestock.

We still have our shar-pei and altho he can't really do anything himself, he makes anough ruckus that I would come running. And I do hope/believe he is big enough chicken that barking would be the worst he would attempt...lol. Both the .22 and 16 gauge are in hidden but easily accessible on the way out the back door. The radio is on but the very fire ants got into the circuitry of our outside light so it's no longer working. But I also have the baby monitor going so if I hear a commotion we can run outside.

Last edited:
Legal or not, I will shoot anything that threatens my family or my livestock.

Exactly

ed to change it to a quote rather than image html
tongue.png

Last edited:
Bright lights. Make noise. Make sure the shelters for your animals are sturdy so they can't be broken into easily. Putting up a fence can help too, especially an electric one.
One word: Air horn.
wink.png

I appreciate the concern truly. But I would rather go to jail then one of my four children be mauled and/or litterally eaten by a cougar. Three of them are prey sized. It's a sacrifice that's worth it to me. Ideally, I would rather call someone to re-locate the animal to somewhere that isn't populated, but eventually it may be back, or in someone else' backyard. And If I did call someone it would be after a missed shot. I won't wait for someone to protect my children.

WOW!!
ep.gif
There has also been sightings here in Kansas,although the "authorites" deny them. My husband,my mom,& also a woman who called wanting to buy chickens have all seen them. Stay safe!!

Back
Top Bottom