Mouth breathing, and limping

What are the amounts of B and E vitamins in the Rooster Booster? The only thing left to try would be increasing those vitamins on the chance they can repair any neurological damage and strengthen the legs. I would use whole people vitamins and give them right into the beak without mixing, dissolving or diluting.

If this little patient doesn't respond to these vitamins, we are left to conclude this is indeed Marek's.

We need to know how much riboflavin (B2) is in the vitamins. That is the one that can be deficient in chickens, not B 12. I like to give 1/4-1/2 tablet of B complex crushed into food. Have you seen chicken slings or chick chairs here before? Those can be helpful for lame chickens to get them upright and feeding. Here is a great link on how they are made:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

This thread is interesting to me because I'm trying to diagnose a Polish rooster with a similar problem (his polish hen, is coincidentally, named Dolly). He has only been wheezing and only after exercise for a little over a week now, and shows no other respiratory issues. He has not had any type of walking issue and is vaccinated for Marak's though. I am unsure if we have ever had Marek's issues due to my own crippled chicken not getting a necropsy. I am reluctant to give antibiotics when his only symptom is wheezing. I have checked for gape worm and the flock was Ivermectined in Fall, so I doubt worm issues. I am isolating him but he seems to not be getting better. I'll add vitamins I still have leftover to their food and water tonight and continue on VetRx. Perhaps I'll reworm him, too, just in case. I just don't see the point of hitting him with antibiotics after a week of no further symptoms. It's just as likely he injured his trachea in some way. I'll update if he develops in the same way.

Good luck with your Dolly. I know how I'd feel if my Dolly was in the same condition.

This thread is interesting to me because I'm trying to diagnose a Polish rooster with a similar problem (his polish hen, is coincidentally, named Dolly). He has only been wheezing and only after exercise for a little over a week now, and shows no other respiratory issues. He has not had any type of walking issue and is vaccinated for Marak's though. I am unsure if we have ever had Marek's issues due to my own crippled chicken not getting a necropsy. I am reluctant to give antibiotics when his only symptom is wheezing. I have checked for gape worm and the flock was Ivermectined in Fall, so I doubt worm issues. I am isolating him but he seems to not be getting better. I'll add vitamins I still have leftover to their food and water tonight and continue on VetRx. Perhaps I'll reworm him, too, just in case. I just don't see the point of hitting him with antibiotics after a week of no further symptoms. It's just as likely he injured his trachea in some way. I'll update if he develops in the same way.

Good luck with your Dolly. I know how I'd feel if my Dolly was in the same condition.
Do you notice this "wheezing" to be more conspicuous right after he crows? With some roosters, after they crow, there's a release of air through their voice box that sounds like an exaggerated wheeze. If it's a respiratory issue, he would be wheezing all the time as he breathes, not just after he crows.

Do you notice this "wheezing" to be more conspicuous right after he crows? With some roosters, after they crow, there's a release of air through their voice box that sounds like an exaggerated wheeze. If it's a respiratory issue, he would be wheezing all the time as he breathes, not just after he crows.
He does have issues right after he crows, but he has lived in unusual circumstances, too (7 of my 20 birds are roosters and have lived together peacefully, as 5 are silkies or half silkies. I suspect he might have injured himself or perhaps he did get in rail with the Houdan rooster. Sometimes he isn't wheezing but if he runs around at all, he'll start wheezing a bit or have to recover for five minutes or so.

I also was looking into his case more, and I recommend that the OP's Dolly might have this. Polish, being crested breeds, are especially susceptible to brain swelling.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/ornithobacterium-rhinotracheale
@Hughes Wildlife Farm
Orhinotracheale may also infect the brain (causing neurological signs such as tremors, paralysis and weakness prior to death), or joints (resulting in swelling and inflammation of the joints, and lameness).

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Last edited:
Found her on her side when I got home today.. Tried to stand her up, and she just tipped over with her legs sticking out... Now she just won't get up... Just ugh!
She has an appointment in the morning for a necropsy. I'm not going to let her continue more days, in this type of condition.
Will update when the report comes back.. For now, I will pet her til bedtime.
I will never get chicks from a poultry supply store that dosnt sell pre vaccinated chicks. Lesson learned

Please check her nostrils. The pics seem to show darkish nostrils, could be why she's mouth breathing. I had a big girl that ha gotten mash stuffed in her nostrils, it took a week of scraping every day to get it all out. I used blunted toothpicks. How on Earth she got that much crud up her nose is beyond me! I too hope it's not Marek's, it's on my property, I'm lucky if half of all new chicks, don't die of it before they even start laying, even vaxed.

Back
Top Bottom