Mouthy rooster

chiknwhisperer

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Lowell, IN
Does anyone have a rooster that can never be quiet? My BA is 15 weeks old and just cannot shut up. I'm the only one that doesn't seem to mind it. He is very hard headed about everything and thinks he runs the house. Well I have layed down the law and I am claiming my spot as lead roo. DH can't stand the noise and today he is sleeping with ear plugs in lol. But anyway. I was holding him last night and when he finally started to relax he started making all kinds of noises and looking at me and every where else. Then he started crowing! This isn't the first time he has done this. But the other times I just figured he was excited becasue I was letting him roam the yard. When he did it last night he wasn't angry or agitated or any thing. Has any one ever had this happen to them before? I thought BAs were supposed to be docile and kinda quiet. Right now he has been crowing for almost four minutes straight.

LOL
gig.gif
Oh boy you have no idea. We HAD a RIR rooster named Ty, who crowed ALL THE TIME!!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
I didn't mind it, but our neighbors did!
roll.png
He crowed for no reason either. He is about a year+ old, still crowing. We now sold him to someone else and kept his brother, who crows, but not as much. Boy is it quieter without him around!
tongue.png

Sorry I can't help. Just thought it would make you feel better to know that your rooster isn't the only one who does that, believe me!
lau.gif

Good luck!

lol So this won't get ANY better? ugh DH is gonna kill me lol. I already said that if I can get baby fuzzbutts from him that I will keep one of his sons and he will have to go. Of course Atreyu (thats the roo) was my mystery chick from MCM so I actually don't have a BA hen to breed him to. I have a RIR and BO but I don't have a problem with haveing cross breedds running around. I just want the eggs for eating not selling for hatching purposes. Although I would like to breed some polish lol.

What if this over crowing thiing is genetic lol ? Thst would be funny from my point of view but I thin kthe kids and DH would shot me and the roo.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I think the amount of crowing generally has to do with the individual rooster personality. My BO roo and my RIR rooster crowed minimally.

Also, my hens and roos all free-range all over the farm every day, so they're often too busy doing "stuff" to spend a lot of time crowing. IMHO, the happier the bird and the more space they have and the more they tire themselves out free-ranging, the less they crow. Also, I generally keep few roos which may keep them from feeling competitive with other roos and thus crowing more.

Others may have other opinions on this, but I think free-ranging keep them quieter.

Thats just it though. He does free range and there is only him as the rooster. He walks and eats and has moments with his ladies and runs around and eats all that fun chicken stuff. But he takes a break and just starts crowing. I swear he is smilling when he does it. And he struts off like hes hot stuff.
cool.png

That's how our rooster was! Except his brother rooster lived in the garage next to his coop, so that may have caused competition. He was sometimes free ranged, but usually kept in the chicken run.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom