I would leave them out for the day and bring them in tonight if they are uncomfortable. Outside should be your new standard. They should be outside unless there is a reason for them not to be. They will do great all day today. If they aren't used to the cold still, I would bring them in maybe at your bedtime, not theirs. Let them feel them natural progression of the heat of the day to darkness and get a taste of colder temperatures. When you go to retrieve them tonight, they'll have made a big step toward dealing with the cold themselves. I'm sure they'll appreciate going inside, but I think you'll find they are more comfortable than you imagined outdoors.
Thank you. I will do as you suggest and bring them in late tonight :) They are really enjoying the extra space out there! I think I would be too worried to leave them out all night at the moment but bringing them in later will be a good balance.

I agree with a lot of harmony fowl said, but I personally would bring them in still just at night for another day or 2. My chicks let me know they were totally ready to be out.. by day 3 of being out all day and in at night they were fighting and fussy. 180 degrees from the sweet little chicks they were just the day before. Up to you ultimately you know your weather best. What breed are they? I looked back and didn't see you stated it I'm just curious.. that would matter (to me personally) because some breeds are ridiculously hardy and built for cold weather while others are not.

I agree with a lot of harmony fowl said, but I personally would bring them in still just at night for another day or 2. My chicks let me know they were totally ready to be out.. by day 3 of being out all day and in at night they were fighting and fussy. 180 degrees from the sweet little chicks they were just the day before. Up to you ultimately you know your weather best. What breed are they? I looked back and didn't see you stated it I'm just curious.. that would matter (to me personally) because some breeds are ridiculously hardy and built for cold weather while others are not.
I have 7 Lavender Araucana (UK standard with tails and crests) and 2 Wheaten Marans. The Araucana feather incredibly quickly while the larger Marans are still mostly fluff with tiny wings and the first signs of a tail coming through! So although they all hatched within a day they are at quite different stages of development. I think for the next week I’ll take them out during the day and bring them in at night, then at 4 weeks they can go out full time. They should all be well feathered by then.

Back
Top Bottom