Moving chicks to coop - no light

motherscluckers12

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2022
Hi all! I’m totally new to the chicken world… I have baby chicks that are about 5 weeks old. I moved them into their new coop 2 days ago. I have been reading that they shouldn’t leave the coop for at least 4 days, I have also read a week. Is this accurate?
Also, I just noticed today how dark it is Inside the coop during the day. There is no light or windows, but 4 large vents. I thought they would let light in but they really don’t bc of their angle. Am I making my birds mental with little to no light during the day? Should I put in a light tonight or wait until morning?

Attachments

• D2C3278D-C328-4387-910F-B04006FB9C15.jpeg
    D2C3278D-C328-4387-910F-B04006FB9C15.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 20
I have locked up birds to home them to a coop, but my coops have all had ample natural light and ventilation. There's some debate about how effective this is for chicks (vs adults) but it's how I've done it. I'd say a week should be plenty.

Yes they need light in order to see to eat and drink. Light only during daytime is fine.

I'd strongly encourage you to add a window or two (even plexiglass will do). Without any light inside, the chickens will not want to return to the coop at night even after being homed to it, as they can't see to navigate.

I have locked up birds to home them to a coop, but my coops have all had ample natural light and ventilation. There's some debate about how effective this is for chicks (vs adults) but it's how I've done it. I'd say a week should be plenty.

Yes they need light in order to see to eat and drink. Light only during daytime is fine.

I'd strongly encourage you to add a window or two (even plexiglass will do). Without any light inside, the chickens will not want to return to the coop at night even after being homed to it, as they can't see to navigate.
Could you open the door and add temporary screen/HW cloth for a few days? Get them used to natural light while still keeping them in? Is there a run? Or will they free range?

Could you open the door and add temporary screen/HW cloth for a few days? Get them used to natural light while still keeping them in? Is there a run? Or will they free range?
I thought of the screen too, going to see what I can dig up today! I will have electric netting for the run. It arrives Tomorrow!! No free ranging here, too many predators!

Yes I agree they need a window too! Ugh will work on that!

Until then, do make sure they get some light inside, turned on during daylight hours. Doesn't have to be terribly bright but enough to navigate by so they don't have issues eating and drinking.
I think chickens have poor night vision and are pretty much blind in the dark. 🕶️ I dont know your temps and/or age of your babies, but maybe you can take them outside in a playpen or something that can offer fresh air and daylight. I wish you all the best with your new babies. My girls turn 1 year this April. It has been such an amazing year with them. what a journey. Enjoy the ride. May your flock thrive always
🐔
♥️

Back
Top Bottom