Moving Outside

chdkgu

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I have 7 khaki campbell ducklings that will be 6 weeks old this weekend. The weather is finally predicted to make a turn for the better here in MI with days in the mid 40's to low 50's with nights in the 30's. Can I finally bring the ducklings form the basement to the big outdoors. They have a coop that they will share with 8 chickens, lots of straw and lots of pine shavings. They are out growing their space and getting very restless. The basement in our home is in the mid to high 50's for a temperature and they have not had a heat lamp since they were about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old. Is it OK to move them into their permanent home? Has anyone had experience with 6 week old ducklings being out in these temperatures?

I have 7 khaki campbell ducklings that will be 6 weeks old this weekend. The weather is finally predicted to make a turn for the better here in MI with days in the mid 40's to low 50's with nights in the 30's. Can I finally bring the ducklings form the basement to the big outdoors. They have a coop that they will share with 8 chickens, lots of straw and lots of pine shavings. They are out growing their space and getting very restless. The basement in our home is in the mid to high 50's for a temperature and they have not had a heat lamp since they were about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old. Is it OK to move them into their permanent home? Has anyone had experience with 6 week old ducklings being out in these temperatures?
I can't answer your question, but I can definitely relate. I have 3 ducklings and 8 chicks in my garage that I am ready to put outside. I feel so bad for them to be still stuck in their brooders. Our temps here are up and down, 80's one day and 40's the next.

I would wait a couple more weeks until they have all their feathers before you leave them outside during the night. They should be fine outside during the day now.

Going outside during the day would certainly help with their energy level. I suppose a smaller space at night would be better tolerated especially if they are tired from being outside during the day and running around more.
Thanks for the idea.

I have 3 Khaki's and 3 Blue Swedish that are just 4 weeks old who have been out in their coop and run for almost a week now. They are all thriving. Temps here have been in the 60-80 range during the day and low 50 to mid 30 range overnight. They are in a converted stall with plenty of ventilation and a heat lamp at night. But, when I go out to let them out early in the a.m. the first thing they do is run to their water, jump in, splash around and go for a swim. They did that this a.m. at 36 degrees and seemed to really be enjoying life. I checked and the heat lamp is just keeping the coop at about 45-50 degrees. They cluster together at night but they seem no worse for the ware. Most important, they appear to be really happy.

That is my concern - they just don't seem very happy inside anymore. Without a heat lamp my coop is not going to be 45 - 50 degrees at night it will only be about the same temperature as the outside which could be in the low 30's. I don't wan to make them sick, but they seem a little unhappy and we have had some feather biting since they need more space. I also have EE chickens, and one mistakenly got left out of the coop one night (just barely1 year old). It went down to 10 degrees and she made a little nest under the screen porch and was fine the next morning. I think they may be hardier than we sometimes think. I am not advocating that leaving her out was not a problem, she was certainly in danger from racoons, but she seemed none the worse for wear from the temperatures.

Do you have the ability to add a heat lamp? that would be the main thing..the night temps are such a killer.. the lack of sun combined with the cold, is not helping the transitioning to the outdoors this spring.

No I really don't we don't have electricity in the coop. As a result, without a light for extra hours of daylight our EE's stopped laying from mid Nov until mid Feb, but now I get 5 to 7 eggs a day form my 8 hens. I think that the break from laying is good for the hens, in nature they wouldn't lay when the days were too short.

No I really don't we don't have electricity in the coop. As a result, without a light for extra hours of daylight our EE's stopped laying from mid Nov until mid Feb, but now I get 5 to 7 eggs a day form my 8 hens. I think that the break from laying is good for the hens, in nature they wouldn't lay when the days were too short.

Okay then the night temps maybe an issue you could try them out during the day and inside at night, loads of hassle but it is what it is. I don't light my chickens either... the rest IMO is important.agreed.

Last edited:
I think I will have to bring the ducklings in at night until the nights are at least in the 40's. It is a pain, but like you said it is what it is. I want them to be happier and I know the wide space and sunshine during the day will make them happy and wear them out.
Thanks, for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom