Moving Quail to the coop

Purely based on what I've read from experienced quail keepers - Bobwhites are very sensitive to cold and three weeks is not old enough to be outside alone yet. I believe they should still be in 80-90 degree temps at this point.

I agree, I have coturnix and I probably put them out too soon. The outside temp triggered a molt. Mine were 8 weeks old and should have been ok, but the temp change from inside my house to outside must have caused an early molt. I didn't notice this happening in my first batch of quail, so I know that's what caused it. Just something to think about when you're ready to put them out.
smile.png

Could I put them out during the day and back in the sunroom/brooder at night? I live in southwest Arkansas so our days r pretty warm . They r about what I keep my brooder @ 80°-90°

Probably ok, but you should avoid handling quail. They *really* don't like it. So if you have a cage they can go in that you can move back and forth, that's what I would do.

It has been unseasonably warm here, (80s) to the point where I have turned all 3 brooders off during the day because the chicks were too hot. 2 week mixed hatch of coturnix, 5 week BBS Ameraucana (they live in exile in the garage! Haha) and some ducks I didn't want but a neighbor was going to "just turn loose." (Some people need to not be breathing. Responsible reasonable people do not turn domesticated animals loose!) I was thinking about finding a lower wattage bulb for the coturnix.

I need to get my lazy fanny out of bed and check them now while its still cool. Just because the roosters and peacocks think its nice to get up at 5:30 am, doesn't mean I have to get up. It means I can no longer sleep, but I sure as heck don't have to get up.

When is the best time to move Bob Whites outside ? I have 27 chicks . From what I understand from the various articles I have read, that time should 8 weeks old.
Correct?
Berry

How warm are your nights and how feathered in are they? I don't have bobwhites, but if they have most of their feathers and it's decently warm, you shouldn't have any problems.

Just one week old. I will wait the full eight weeks. What I have read so far,that's the best timing. A very,very good booklet is RAISING BOBWHITE QUAIL , by Clemson University Cooperating with United States Department of Agriculture. Really good information. I found the booklet on EBAY.
Thanks for your response.

Back
Top Bottom