Mr chicken's injury. What is going on?

jehaz

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Music City - Nashville Tennessee
I must warn you that these pictures are quite graphic.

I have a Gold Laced Wyandotte (Gemma) who started getting pecked, so we put some Rooster Booster lotion on to deter the other hens, but they carried on.
Ironically, Gemma was always the big bully in the past, and now she is the victim.

Eventually we had to separate her and she is now in a crate until she is better and her wounds are not visible to the other chickens.
We have her on antibiotics and electrolytes.

Tonight I went to inspect her wound in closer detail and I am concerned about it.
It is black and nobbly, and there looks like digested cracked corn coming out?
Either her innards are pierced or she just lay in some corn??
The other thing is, we had a raccoon get into the coop through the soffits (a very tiny gap which I have since sealed). The raccoon killed a chicken and I am wondering if Gemma was bitten too? I didnt think this was the case, but that wound looks pretty bad.

She is actually very perky, but stopped laying. But that could be because we brought her indoors into the warm basement, which has less light.

Is it normal to look that way after being pecked? How long will it take to recover?
Or is it too big of an injury?

eurgh. thats nasty.
So can other chickens do this by pecking so much at her?
The raccoon killed a chicken on the top floor of the coop and Gemma usually lives on the bottom, but it is possible it had a bite

Clean this really well with an antiseptic cleanser(diluted chlorhexidine/diluted povidone iodine or diluted peroxide if nothing else available)couple of times a day until it starts to heal and no sign of infection. Apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens). You can also use Vetericyn which is an excellent product and very safe to use. Remove dead black tissue,this is necrotic and will cause a serious infection. You will have to determine if the crop has been puncture,if yes repost and we will advise on appropriate treatment.

For pain you can give her an low dose aspirin(81mg)or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese). The biggest challenge is going to be preventing infection.

Keep her warm,when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp so additional heat is required. Keep her separate until healed,otherwise other birds will peck/pick at her wounds with dire consequences. Make sure she is eating/drinking.

What antibiotics are you using? Electrolytes are good for shock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom