Mt Healthy messed up

I haven't. I will probably email them and ask for reimbursement. Also I have heard that cockerels raised up with older hens are nicer what is your experience with this?
Oh gosh, I have been reading up and saw the same thing. I'm hoping it proves true! Marshmallow is actually my first cockerel. We have nine one year old hens, plus the three ducks, so he will be integrated in with them (assuming we keep him) and the two wyandottes and hopefully Ruby, who are all his same age.

Yeah, I have found that to be true, but only if they seem to have a good temperament in the first place. When they are small and grow up with larger birds they seem to not realize that they got bigger somehow. It can make them more humble, but I think the same thing can make them more violent if they have that kind of personality. Is he timid now? Timid is a better bet from what I have seen.

Hoovers has a percentage guarantee, so a certain number of mistakes is permissible depending on how many you got. I assume Mt. Healthy has something similar. They may be able to do something for you if you tell them how bummed you are, though.
He is very curios he even cased off my buff orp hen but my dominant hen chased him away he is a nice boy not very tolerable of being help but will let you pet him in exchange for treats. I have been thinking my blue laced red is a golden wyandotte so I will wait and see what happens with her before I go complaining.

Oh gosh, I have been reading up and saw the same thing. I'm hoping it proves true! Marshmallow is actually my first cockerel. We have nine one year old hens, plus the three ducks, so he will be integrated in with them (assuming we keep him) and the two wyandottes and hopefully Ruby, who are all his same age.
Yeah, it is like the only time that a little abuse and hazing for a bird could be a good thing.

Ah marshmallow how is your little violator doing?

He is very curios he even cased off my buff orp hen but my dominant hen chased him away he is a nice boy not very tolerable of being help but will let you pet him in exchange for treats. I have been thinking my blue laced red is a golden wyandotte so I will wait and see what happens with her before I go complaining.
Yeah, it seems like being friendly towards humans can be bad in roosters. You want him to be a little afraid of you.

I've got several roosters. Some jerks and some amazing. In my experience, the roosters that I didn't try to handle anymore than necessary turned out to be the most amazing boys. The ones that were held and given a lot of attention turned into jerks. The next person might say the opposite but that's been my experience. I wish you and your flock the very best 💜

I've got several roosters. Some jerks and some amazing. In my experience, the roosters that I didn't try to handle anymore than necessary turned out to be the most amazing boys. The ones that were held and given a lot of attention turned into jerks. The next person might say the opposite but that's been my experience. I wish you and your flock the very best 💜
My old roo didn't really liked me but I thought holding him and cuddling him would help but it just made it worse. I will only handle when absolutely necessary from now on.

Any tips? I want to do everything right this time.
I make sure to give the roosters treats to let them know I am on their side, but yeah, I try to handle as little as I can. I usually went in the coop at night when I had to treat them for something, otherwise it would stress them out.

Not sure if it is your fault, though. Some are just weird and there is nothing you can do about it. You don't want them to imprint on you (which lots of handling can lead to), because then they see you as a flock mate rather than a human, but some imprint easily for unknown reasons, so there is only so much you can do.

Back
Top Bottom