Mucus in poo, should I be worried?

shadowfox

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
New Mexico
Details: I have 7 hens, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Australorps, and 2 Easter Eggers. They are 21 weeks old. One of them, I can't figure out which, gave a really mucusy poo this morning right after I let them out of the coop. None are acting different that I've been able to tell. No lethargy. While I haven't seen everyone eat, the same amount of food has been eaten. No sneezing or mucus around their faces. Do I just keep an eye on them? If I wanted to further examine one of the girls, how would I go about it? What are some things that I should be looking for?

Poop is only one possible symptom of something not quite right. When you notice other symptoms along with the unusual poop, then you will be alerted that you may have a sick chicken.

Besides a chicken behaving lethargically, a chicken that doesn't feel well will usually stand immobile, often with tail held low and flat. Eyes will be hooded or closed, and a talkative chicken will be mute.

I happen to have a seven-year old hen who has had runny, mucous laced poops since she was a two-day old chick. I quickly learned I didn't have a sick chick, just one that poops differently. She has never had a sick day in her long life, but her solid poops I could count on one hand. Goes to show poops alone aren't necessarily a sign of something wrong.

Here's a terrific article on what different poops can signify. It's worth book marking for future reference. http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/03/all-about-chicken-poop-brown-black-and.html

Back
Top Bottom