Muddy’s Meaties 2022

I’m going to speculate that they will dress to 8-10# whole based on previous ages/sizes that we’ve processed
We usually wait for 12 weeks to get them to that size, but I don't usually do them this time of year.
I was concerned that with all the stuff going on that I might not be able to get them at all so I got what McMurray had which was females. Now at 8 weeks these girls are hot even in the open barn with a fan on them, and I don't want to lose any. (I lost 2 and the extra 2 they sent at a young age.) I bought 40 and I had 38 still alive to process.
We usually like to process in the fall, for a few years we were able to take them to a processing facility that even had USDA inspections of the birds and labels but of course they shut down.
The females have lots of breast meat. We prefer dark meat, but I make chicken and noodles, chicken wraps, soups etc. with the breast meat.
(I wasn't real clear that 6.5-7 lbs was the weight right before we put them into the freezer)

Last edited:
We usually wait for 12 weeks to get them to that size, but I don't usually do them this time of year.
I was concerned that with all the stuff going on that I might not be able to get them at all so I got what McMurray had which was females. Now at 8 weeks these girls are hot even in the open barn with a fan on them, and I don't want to lose any. (I lost 2 and the extra 2 they sent at a young age.) I bought 40 and I had 38 still alive to process.
We usually like to process in the fall, for a few years we were able to take them to a processing facility that even had USDA inspections of the birds and labels but of course they shut down.
The females have lots of breast meat. We prefer dark meat, but I make chicken and noodles, chicken wraps, soups etc. with the breast meat.
(I wasn't real clear that 6.5-7 lbs was the weight right before we put them into the freezer)
I’ve started doing mine earlier in the year as well and had to order directly from hatchery last year because RK was always out of them. Hatchery sends all pullets too We picked up a dozen but I lost 5 relatively early. I no longer have the netting over their run and had some issues with electric fence so I think a hawk may have gotten a couple as chicks 🙈

We got 11 done today. So, 19 done and 19 to go.
We will probably wait until next weekend to finish the rest. My husband works 2 full time jobs.
My husband and I were watching a show and the guy said, "I worked 40 hours this week." We looked at each other perplexed, and I said, "what does he do the other 4 days?".
Then we started laughing at ourselves, oh yeah regular people work 40 hours in 5 days.
Farm life. :lol: 🐶🐱🐰🐮🐮🐮🐷🐔🐤🦆🐎🦚🌳

@BirdsBeesTrees How did your Chanteclers grow out? I know you mentioned leg issue in chicks but I'm assuming, since you had them, you still grew out and butchered.
I only have 7 left, 2 are cockerals. One of the females legs are completely deformed, we will end up dressing her out. They are just turning 4 months but their combs are turning quite red. I'm looking forward to getting some eggs from them soon.

Back
Top Bottom