Multi-colored silkies? Where are they?

chickenpiedpiper

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
New Durham NH
Ok, when I was at the NE Poultry Congress, I looked the silkies over pretty closely. what I didnt see was silkies with the coloring of my two wee chicks! Do we not show multicolored silkies? Is there no standard for them?

Right now my two chicks are; BB, who is buff gold, with a blue patch of fluff on her back, and in her wings, (she is only 2 weeks) and Scooter; who is mostly black, with some gold patterning around his head and neck. he is only a week plus.

I have seen Scooters dad, and he is a lovely black and gold bi color, just like him. Why dont I see other bi-color silkies and frizzles? Oh, both have the dark blue black skin, and extra toes.

I'm pretty sure the "multicolor" comes from when the parents are two different colors... like white x partridge. I hatched out a chick that was white with blotches of partridge from when the parents mated.

I'm thinking that you aren't sure what colour your chicks are, but that they have several colours showing in their feathers. Is this correct? If so, they could well be recognised varieties. Chicks go through several stages of feathering before they have their adult plumage, and several of the recognised varieties could be described as "multicoloured."

Any chicken can be shown as AOV, which means Any Other Variety--that is how new varieties come to be recognised--enough people breed and show them.

Silkies are recognised by the American Bantam Association (and also the APA) in 14 varieties: white, black, blue, splash, grey, partridge & buff: each of these in both bearded and non-bearded.

Common, but not yet recognised varieties for silkies include cuckoo, lavender, blue partridge, showgirls, porcelain.

From your description of your chicks it is hard to put a variety name to them, a photo would help. I will say that off-coloured hackles do not show up for many months, so he's not a miscoloured black.

Back
Top Bottom