Multiple symptoms: Water out of mouth after drinking, tired, bubbles in eyes, lice

I took my lovely girl to the vet and there is nothing stuck in her crop, she’s not egg bound and there is nothing obvious stuck in her vent.

I have now trimmed her beak back as far as I can without cutting the quick. She’s still eating mushy food and pecks at kale. It seems that every other day she is obsessed with water and then poops out mostly water still. On the days she drinks less she has normal poop but it’s smaller than usual.

She’s still quieter than usual spending sometime sleeping during the day.

The vet gave an oral lice medication to hopefully get rid of the lice and scaly legs mites (which they’ve had on and off for many years). I have to give it one more time in a week.

Not sure what else to do. Could get her poop tested.

Any foods that you recommend giving her even though we don’t know what’s wrong?

Sorry one more thing.. I don’t want to use Permethrim dust sadly because of a risk to my personal health at the moment. But I’m continuing to keep the coop clean and use DE and soap, oil, water spray.

The chickens are bathing regularly in ask and DE. Should I put extra DE on the sick girl?

I'm glad you were able to see the vet, I'm sorry that they really didn't find much.
I would assume the vet gave her Ivermectin for the lice so that *should* take care of them.
I would watch to see if she's dust bathing regularly and keep those areas raked, adding the ash and DE wouldn't hurt. As for putting extra DE on her, I wouldn't but if you do, wear a mask since it's so dusty and an irritant.

A fecal float could tell you if worms may be an issue, but I wonder if the vet did one?
If her poop is normal when she's not drinking a lot, then that's good. Drinking all that extra water is what's making her poop runny.

Thanks so much! The vet hasn’t done a fecal float yet. That sounds like a good idea!

I managed to get a picture of her poop that’s not runny from this morning. It seems ok but there is maybe I tiny bit of red in it.

Attachments

• 14ADC273-7A0C-4F7A-AFA5-8A73590A4407.jpeg
    14ADC273-7A0C-4F7A-AFA5-8A73590A4407.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 5
OK today her poop looks differently again! Almost like there is broken egg in it. It’s quite mucousy with no processed food really. Thoughts?
She parts the area of feathers around her vent more often after being at the vet. Like she is about to poop but then doesn’t. I’m still waiting to take the fecal sample to the vet. But hopefully they’ll take it today.

Attachments

• 75B2B9F7-C803-4BE0-8A06-1A581A2B54B4.jpeg
    75B2B9F7-C803-4BE0-8A06-1A581A2B54B4.jpeg
    976.2 KB · Views: 6
Ok thank you! The lice medication I gave them was fluralaner BRAVECTO. The vet wanted to see if it would get rid of their scaly mites too, which has been an ongoing problem for years.

I have Piperazine dihydrochloride as the dewormer. My vet still hasn’t been able to take the fecal sample but if not today I’ll go somewhere else. The dewormer I have says it’s for roundworms. Is this a good one to try? I’m worried about the effects of using both medications over the same period. Also what if it’s not ringworm?

Thanks for all your help. I’m so sad she’s not doing well! She’s pretty much the best!

Attachments

• A5E7D54F-92F7-4D9A-B5E1-4CE3FB4537BC.jpeg
    A5E7D54F-92F7-4D9A-B5E1-4CE3FB4537BC.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 34BAC9A9-4748-4552-B89C-B728B8143F8E.jpeg
    34BAC9A9-4748-4552-B89C-B728B8143F8E.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom