Murray McMurray Hatchery Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CluckyJay, Feb 25, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Hey guys! Been reading BYC for a long time and finally decided to register and post. I wasn't sure where to post this thread.

I was wondering if anyone could post photos of their adult Sumatra, golden sebrights, RIRs and pear white leghorns from Murray McMurray. I have Googled until my fingers nearly fell off. I either suck at searching or there just aren't a whole lot of MMH adult chickens pictures out there, lol.

I just wanna see what we got ourselves into, lol. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    You will not get what you see in the drawn pics, its a lie. . I dont have any pics of the birds I got (I sold them before then). If you want some nice friendly egg layers, this is a great place to get them. My sumatras from there I sold before they layed an egg. They had the wrong comb and the tails were short, the color was off also. If you look up "ugly chickens" they might come up lol. Like I said, if you want some happy egg layers, this is the best place. I hope some one will post pics.

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    This really is unfortunate. My husband will be really disappointed if they don't look like Sumatras.

If MMH doesn't work out I might check the BYC forums for the breeds I want. I'll do a search for your thread. Thanks for replying![​IMG]

I searched through your posts and couldn't find it [​IMG]. I guess there aren't a lot of pictures because people are ashamed of their ugly MMH chickens? LOL

I guess in the end ugly chickens are edible, to some degree.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  4. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Honestly, I don't think hatchery chickens are ugly. Unless they really are, 'ugly' then maybe. If you're going to be showing or displaying them for purebred purposes however, I'd recommend a breeder. But it you want them for any other purposes, then go for a hatchery. They have good egg layers! [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:x2, You will get a nice bird, but nothing show quality. I've got a hatchery Sussex, supposed to grow to 3kg, only at 1.2 maybe so far. Ah, well she's still pretty anyway [​IMG]

6. ddzFunnyfarm

ddzFunnyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Quote:We got all our li'l darlins, so far, from MMH and we're very happy with 'em, but they're ONLY for egg production and pets, not show. Lots of personality and very pretty for backyard flock. [​IMG] In fact we liked last year's batch so much we ordered again and just got 14 Jumbo Cornish X, 5 Ameraucanas, 3 Pearl White Leghorns, 2 Red Stars, 1 Black Star, and 1 surprise chick.

Here's Leggy (PWL), Lucy (RIR), and Bruuuce (Ameraucana roo):

[​IMG]

...and here's Eenie, Meenie & Mo (Ameraucanas), and Foggy (PWL):

[​IMG]

Devoted wife to the most patient coop-n-run builder on Earth, mom to 4 and their spouses, g-ma to 3+1 on the way [​IMG]
    ....I'm graciously allowed by the FunnyFarm inmates to serve them: Ruby the Lab/Pit galoot who thinks she's a lapdog, Smalls the slinky black feline who thinks she's God's gift to Ruby, 13 new un-named chicks, 14 Jumbo CornishXs we're sending to Camp Freeze-em-up on April 1 (funny timing, eh?!!), Bruuuce the Ameraucana Roo who does not "get" that whole 'crow only at sun-up thing', our laying flock of 22 (Eenie, Meenie, Miney & Mo and The 3 Stooges the Ameraucanas, Cruella the WCBP and Balayage the GP, Lucy the RIR, Ethyl the NHR, Winnie & Dottie the BRs, Splash the SLW, Foghorn & Leghorn the WLs, Goldie & Starr the RSL & BSL, CC the Blk Minorca, JetBlue the Blue Andalusian, 'CBOF the Greedy' the Lt Brahma, and Abby-Normal the Red Frizzle Cochin Bantam who runs the place!)

7. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thank you guys so much!

Your chickens are lovely DZ-- I like your RIR hen the best!

Were on pins and needles waiting for the little monsters to arrive! We won't be showing so they don't have to be perfect. I figure I would break my husband (he's never had chickens) in slowly with cheaper stock and then when he gets addicted to quality eggs and meat I can start buying better stock someday.

That and the compost! Had to get some chickens to turn my compost heaps, lol.

I am out there now building a banny chicken tractor out of an old baby crib. [​IMG] Its so nice to find a place where people are chickens freaks like me. [​IMG]

8. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I rescued my Sumatra's, so I don't know which hatchery they are from, but they were mail order chicks from one of them. Here is Sammy and one of the girls.

[​IMG]

Very handsome boy, and the girls are quite pretty. Everything you read on Sumatra's says they only lay 2 eggs a week. While many of mine only lay 2 a week, I have one young girl who consistantly lays 4 a week, and one other that most weeks lays 3. Delicious small eggs!

9. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    a group shot of part of the Sumatra flock:
    [​IMG]

10. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Wow. Even if they're not show quality--those are some gorgeous birds! If mine turn out half as nice I will be thrilled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by