Muscovy Duck who looks "wet" is she sick?

Lynn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Hi all,

We've been getting solid rain for days, and yesterday one of our adult muscovy females looked wet (soggy and bedraggled), while the other ducks seemed to look just as shiny and tidy as ever as they waddle around the property. Maybe it was coincidence and that each time I saw her she had just taken a dip in the pond, but it seemed strange that every time I saw her throughout the day, she looked that way. She looked more like a wet chicken than a duck.

This morning, she looked fine (after drying in the coop all night), but I am curious to see how she looks after being out in the rain today. At least the weather has been warm (70 degrees today). What is going on with her and is their something I should do? If it persists, is this a symptom of any illness or condition that anyone knows about?

Thanks!

Lynn

She should be fine. Scovies dont' handle wet as well and mallard derived ducks. Once it dries out and warms up, she should look like herself again.

Well, that does make me feel better, especially coming from someone so knowledgeable! Thanks for the advice.

She looks soggy again today in the rain. Maybe she's just not manufacturing enough oil... perhaps there is a supplement I can give her to produce more? The others seem fine. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about, though.

Thanks again
Lynn

Back
Top Bottom